London to Paris, info sought

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ronmac

Hi all, I'm new to forum and fairly new to cycling. I'm cycling from London to Paris and back in first 2 weeks of April and would greatly appreciate any relevant info from any of you more experienced people. I leave from Euston then onto Newhaven and Dieppe. Would appreciate any advice about how to get from Euston onto road south at morning rush hour. Also any info about cycling, camping in France. I've never been there. Much obliged in advance to anybody who replies. Ron.

aqaleigh

hi and welcome to the site

I can't help with the route as I try to avoid Paris like the plague - done it twice, both very problamatic, however I know lots of other people that love the trip
As regards the camping in France, I think most agree that the campsites are plentifull, reasonably inexpensive and fairly well equipped, ask at the local tourist information as to the most suitable site and where possible use the municipal sites.
have a great trip
cheers
leigh

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Hi Ron -

First two weeks in April eh? Well, you need to be prepared for it being any season from the end of winter through to high summer (like we had last year). You will need a pretty wide range of clothing.

As for camping in France, you'll have o do a bit of research about sites. April is very early in the year for sites to be open in northern France, so you will not be able to just find a site by chance like you can in high summer. The ones that open first tend to be the big 4* ones that offer no better camping facilities but cost much, much more than the local municipal sites.

Michelin do a 'Velo Paris' map that shows all the good routes in and out of Paris. My favourite is to go in from the NE along the Canal d'Ourq.

Know sod all about London.

JackE

Über Member
paris

I've done it twice via Newhaven and learned a lot from our mistakes the first time around. I have a route sheet for the French side which we were given on the ferry by a professionally led group. They worked out/perfected the route over a number of years and we found it a lovely ride.
If you PM me your e-mail address I can send it to you or anyone else who would like it.

OP
OP
R

ronmac

Thanks guys

Thanks for the welome and the advice guys. Just the sort of stuff I'm looking for and will take it on board. Can't say I'm excited by the idea of cycling INTO Paris but it does appeal cycling AROUND Paris seeing all the sights that I've only seen in books and on the telly. I take on board what you said about the weather. It could be a late winter or an early spring - who knows ! Cheers. Ron. p.s. It's a lovely crisp day here and I'm cycling from Paisley to Ayr.

OP
OP
R

ronmac

Thanks for that JackE. I was actually typing last entry while you posted so didn't see it. I'd much appreciate that route so will send my email as soon as I find out how to do that (in next few minutes hopefully). Ron.

Mooster

I found a good route out of London and down to Newhaven from the CTC website.

From Dieppe I followed the avenue verte to Forge-Les-Eaux. I made my own way then to the outskirst of Paris via chantilly and followed the Ourcq Canal in to Paris (the last bit is Route #1 on this web site http://www.mayq.com/Cycling_out_of_paris/Best_bycling_routes_from_Paris.htm)

I camped about halfway along the avenue verte at Neufchatel-en Bray - the path passsed within a couple of hundred yards of the site (http://www.caravancampingsites.co.uk/france/76/sainteclaire.htm).

I also camped just outside Chantilly at St-Leu-d'Esserent (this was harder to find - http://xenophongroup.com/mcjoynt/frcamp-0.htm )

Not sure what times of year these sites open, but I enjoyed staying at them both.

Have a good trip.

OP
OP
R

ronmac

Thanks Mooster

Mooster many thanks for that. I had thought of camping about 20 to 30 miles south of Dieppe so will check your info out. Will also check out the Chantilly one though I have marked in Maisons-Laffitte as a possibility too. Cheers. Ron.

Top Bottom