London to Paris

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jc101

Regular
Hi, I am thinking of doing this next year as really need a challenge to train towards. My question is I currently ride a Specialized Allez but will need panniers for kit. Is there a way of fitting them or would it be better to get a different bike?

StuartG

slower but further
An Allez is more than good enough. Just get it thoroughly serviced by an LBS who know what you are going to do. They should spot any preventable problems. Also astute googling of your route should find French bike shops for reference if something breaks. The big hypermarkets also stock consumables such as extra tubes etc ...

Last night on the Dieppe Newhaven ferry were bikes of almost every sort including hybrids.

I did it on a 3 speed Brompton with just a bar bag a couple of years ago. You can plan down to almost nothing if you want. Makes it lighter and easier. Most people take too much. Depends on how sociable you want to be in Paris. Otherwise provided it is summer than my essentials are:

* toothbrush & just enough toothpaste
* small deoderant
* comb
* passport tickets & money
* shaver
* mobile phone charger
* sun cream
* ultralite shower top
* spare pants/baselayer (wash & rotate daily)
* map
* armwarmers
* spares/tubes tools etc (in Top Peak wedge under saddle)

You really don't need panniers unless you are going camping or need to pack a computer.
You can get bigger saddle bags that cantilever out so you don't need a frame based rack and something like a tri bag for your sweeties and stuff.
You could also use a back pack - but I wouldn't recommend it for long runs when your back may get sweaty and the weight on the body tiring as well as making for a less steady ride.

Good luck. The ride across Normandy can be spectacular. The latter part is not so great (think riding into London from Surrey).

goody

Veteran
Hey StuartG! I was on that ferry, plenty of bikes on there. My bike is similar to an Allez takes a rack and pannier OK.

StuartG

slower but further
2563652 said:
A couple of unnecessary luxuries there.
* toothbrush & just enough toothpaste
* small deoderant
* comb
* passport tickets & money
* shaver
* mobile phone charger
* sun cream
* ultralite shower top
* spare pants/baselayer (wash & rotate daily)
* map
* armwarmers
* spares/tubes tools etc (in Top Peak wedge under saddle)

For some :whistle:

Top Bottom