London to Paris

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Helena Grant

Hi I am thinking about doing the London to Paris in September having never attempted anything like this before. I was wondering if there was anyone in Warwickshire who was interested in doing this? I am 50 and am pretty fit doing about 3 spin classes a week and daily visits to the gym and now the weather is better will be hitting the road to clock up some miles. Help!

I don't live near Warwickshire, but might be able to help. :biggrin:

First you need to decide if you are defintely going to be doing this event.

Then, if yes, buy/get a bike suitable for you and the kind of riding you do.

If you are fit (as you seem to be) then the distance won't be a problem,

Equip yourself with the clothing needed for the trip and enjoy yourself.

I hope I haven't over-simplified my answer, but there are certainly others here who will be doing this, as well, who will offer advice and support.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I'm already signed up for the British Legion's Paris ride (perhaps the one you're considering, Helena?). Dayvo's covered the basics very succinctly. My usual solo weekend rides are 30-45 miles (and if I'm doing fewer miles I'll make sure there are plenty of climbs) and I'm regularly doing 60-70 milers (FNRttC London-Brighton this past Saturday). Weekly mileage anything from 50-150 at the moment. I reckon if I keep that up, I'll be fine. You might want to find some riding partners- if they're not doing something like L2P, it doesn't matter, as long as they want to keep racking up the miles. Endurance rather than speed is what you want, so steady sustained efforts will be the thing.
I'm also planning to do at least one or two sportives- perhaps they'd be useful (and fun!) for you too?

Top Bottom