Long Distance Training Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cycleowen

A friend and I have decided to do the 3 peaks cycling in between each peak in under 48 hours (approx 450 miles, 11,000 feet) in August later this year. Has anyone got any training programs or advice for anything like this? Though we're both very fit we have done a great deal of cycling. Any advice will be much appreciated!!

amaferanga

Veteran
How much/little cycling have you actually done?

A good initial goal I guess would be to cycle 225 miles in less than 20 hours and see how you feel. Then do the same the next day.

OP
OP
C

cycleowen

Thanks, ive done none and my friend has been doing it regularly for a couple of years.

Im going to be getting on the bike soon and start clocking the miles up

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Only 6 months to go from non-cyclist to super-long-distance-cyclist (plus mountain walker)...

If you progress steadily, that would imply being able to do a fairly hilly 150 mile bike ride (and walk up a mountain at the end of it) in 16 hours by the end of April. That sounds doable.

Being able to do it twice in 32 hours sounds like hard work to me, and that would be by the end of June!

The full challenge sounds, er, challenging! :tongue:

Good luck with it, but you are going to have to really get stuck in to be ready in time.

PS You will need to make damn sure that you are both are very comfortable on your bikes. Any little nagging discomfort after a few hours of riding would probably become unbearable after 20 or 30 hours, let alone 48.

amaferanga

Veteran
From zero to 450 miles over two days in just 6 months will be quite some challenge (even forgetting about the mountains you'll be walking/joggin up).

Firstly, you'd better have an understanding partner or even better be single cos training for cycling big distances takes a lot of time. In your case you'll probably need to put in a big ride pretty much every weekend from now until August (as well as 2-3 shorter rides during the week). I cycled distances similar to those (bit less - 175 miles/day) in July last year doing LEJOG, but by this point in the year I could fairly comfortably cycle hilly 125 mile routes in the Peaks in under 10 hours and I was commuting 25 miles/day.

To get to the point where I could cycle 175 miles fairly quickly in a day and then do the same the next day (for 5 days in total in my case) meant I was cycling at least 2 weekends out of 3 from February through to July. I'd do the big ride on the Saturday, but Sunday was pretty much a write-off.

I don't mean to discourage you and I think what you've set your sights on is possible, but to do it you'll be dedicating your life to cycling from now until August so you need to be aware of that (I'm sure you are already anyway). Also, making yourself ride for 10 hours when you know the weather is going to be crap takes some dedication.

Good luck ;)

Top Bottom