Longer chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stevenb

If I do (undecided but prefer compact anyway) go for a chainset upgrade from my R600 to a 53.39 jobbie will I need a longer chain......I do I compensate that by using a cassette with close ratios?
My bike currently uses a 105 chain and a 12-25 casette.

However before I replace the chainset I'm purchasing new wheels with a Dura Ace cassette and so I can choose the ratio I need.

Many thanks in advance.

Steve

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If you're changing the chainset and cassette I'd change the chain at the same time, unless you've hardly done any miles on the existing one. You'll need it to be a bit longer to account for the larger front ring.
As far as the gearing goes, I'd work out what ratios you've got now,see what you want to change (higher top? lower bottom?) then choose a cassette that gives you those ratios or thereabouts with the new chainset.
Of course, if you don't want to change the gearing you could stick with the chainset and cassette you've got!:smile:

OP
OP
stevenb

stevenb

Cheers for that. If I go with a lighter Ultegra SL chainset 50.34 compact like mine and fit a 11-23 cassette will I have to remove links in my chain?
I've only done about 400 miles on my bike since I bought it in September.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd be tempted not to. I know that having the chain the exact right length is supposed to help the gear change, but I've not found it to be that critical. I'd be more worried about not getting a perfect join on the chain.

Top Bottom