LonJoG or JoGLon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proud2Push

Has anyone out there cycled London to John o Groats or JoG to London?

We've done London to Lands End and fancy doing the Scotland thing next year. It would make more sense to catch the train to Wick and do JoGLon, but the thought of that headwind...:wacko: ...especially after cycling into sw gales on the trip to Lands End. If we do LonJoG, we'd wiggle our way up on minor roads to Lincoln and then pick up NCN1, ignoring the more extravagant deviations and detours. Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome. (We'll be camping all the way.)

BTW I've put this in the Touring & Expedition forum as it doesn't really seem to fit in the Lands End to John o Groats forum, hope that's ok.

snorri

Legendary Member
I did Earls Court to 100 miles short of J0G a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. There was no plan, I just followed side roads as close to the east coast as possible. Some of the maps I used were titled Norfolk Coast Cycleway, Hull to Fakenham and Coast and Castles cycle route. The latter 3 are Sustrans publications, but I did not stick blindly to these routes, just used them as a guide.
My route got a bit messy around Berwick upon Tweed with rough tracks,(it could be ok now) but I do not recall any other problems.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
snorri said:
I did Earls Court to 100 miles short of J0G a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. There was no plan, I just followed side roads as close to the east coast as possible. Some of the maps I used were titled Norfolk Coast Cycleway, Hull to Fakenham and Coast and Castles cycle route. The latter 3 are Sustrans publications, but I did not stick blindly to these routes, just used them as a guide.
My route got a bit messy around Berwick upon Tweed with rough tracks,(it could be ok now) but I do not recall any other problems.

There's a non-existent bit of cycletrack along the side of the A1 north of Berwick, near the nuclear power station. It's on the Sustrans map but we couldn't find it and had to do a hilly detour at the end of a long day:sad:. I've reported it to Sustrans.

Top Bottom