LOOK pedals - Should I upgrade to Keo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Have been using LOOK pedals for years now, but the old style with Delta cleats

One of the pedals is beginning to give up the ghost, so went to the bike shop to check out a new pair, and it seems LOOK don't make the old style pedal anymore, only the Keo one.

Firstly, is this true?

Secondly, what are Keo like? Is it worth giving in and upgrading, or should I buy an NOS pair of pedals and stock up on cleats????

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I personally don't like the keo's. and would go with shimano SPD-sl. but it's down to preference. try and get a go on them and see how they feel.

Bigtwin

1. True they don't make the old pedals any more.

2. It's certainly not an "upgrade". I used some Keos - they do nothing that my Looks don't. Plus they are no lighter, if that matters to you.

3. You can get the old cleats readily on ebay for £few (red or grey).

4. Just got another pair of Looks from fleabay for £7.50 - can't argue with that.

yello

You can still get the old delta type pedals but I'm pretty sure they're not actually made, at least not by Look. I think VP (the VP-R70??), and maybe 1 or 2 companies, might do.

It's a matter of trawling bike shops, e-bay, etc to find them though. I was lucky to pick up 2 spare pair; one on here and another in a bike shop but it really is luck of the draw.

Oh, I did find a mail order place in Wales that stocked some but he never did get around to telling me how much for postage! If I remember the name, I'll post it.

gbb

Legendary Member
Personally, i'd stay with the old Looks.
I've used the Keos for the last one year and still can't clip in the second foot cleanly after all this time. It's wierd, the first one will go in ok, but as soon as i set off at TLs, i still find myself faffing about trying to locate the second foot. It's probably just me....but i find it distracting just when you don't need it.

simon_brooke

Have to say, contrary to everyone else's view, I use Keos and think they're great. I've also used Look Deltas and SPD SLs and would rate Keos as at least as good as the deltas and considerably better (less/lighter hardware) than the SPD/SLs.

Clipping and unclipping is (for me) clean and easy every time.

yello

I've not used Keos so I can't comment. I'll make the switch when I can no longer buy delta cleats!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is a company that do make Look Delta pedals. Begins with G, can't remember, and some of the pedals are Ti and Carbon..... TBH I'd search ebay for some top end older Delta's - the bearings are much better, and will last the course.

If going to Keo, you need to drop your saddle by about 5mm !

Proto

Legendary Member
Not sure where the idea that Keos are no lighter than old Looks comes from, Keos are much lighter. Pretty sure older Looks weigh ~400gms a pair and Keos come in at ~230gms a pair (steel axle). Even the cheapo Keos are only 260gms a pair.

I moved from Delta Looks to Keos two years ago and they have performed perfectly. Very easy to clip in and out (as were the old style), super light, very durable and look good. Personally I can't fault them.

Top Bottom