Looking at getting some spd shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

opticcircus

Hi everyone I've decided to take the plunge and invest in some spd shoes I've been looking around and I've seen it mentioned that I need to get a size bigger than my feet?
ohmy.gif
is there anything in this as I nearly pulled the trigger on a pair of shimano ones.

Any advice anyone can shed on the subject would be awesome!
biggrin.gif

diapason

Mine are the same size as my normal shoes. I'd go for the MTB/touring style rather than the race orientated shoes as you'll want to be able to walk normally when you get off the bike. Exustar Stelvio's have a good reputation - a pair are on my wishlist. Dromarti's look wonderful if you can afford them - I can't :blush:

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Depends on the brand on size I found. DMT I found on the small size, Maybe it's because they are Italian lol ?. Shimano, North Wave & Lake a good fit most times.

My experience on purchasing footwear is your local bike shop. On line footwear purchasers is something I wouldnt do again as I think its one of the most important items that needs to be correct and Ive had problems getting a correct fit with online purchasers :smile:

Tyke

I only have the cheap ones from Lidl but in three different styles and they all fit very well in my normal size. They don't always have them in so you have to watch out for them.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
...I'd go for the MTB/touring style rather than the race orientated shoes as you'll want to be able to walk normally when you get off the bike...

With respect, how do you know that is what the OP wants? However, you are right: MTB style shoes usually (but not always) have recessed cleats, but I can walk as far as I need to in my road shoes.

Italian shoes are often found to be narrow for UK feet; Shimano do tend to be a size smaller than advertised.

The advice you've received about buying a size larger, may also be based on the fact that your feet will swell-up as they heat-up: shoes that are snug in the shop are likely to prove uncomfortable over the course of longer rides.

If you buy on-line, then you should factor in the cost of a possible return when weighing-up the options: even if the shoes are bang-on size wise, peoples' feet rarely are.

I have found Shimano to be a little over-priced for what they are; I bought a pair of these on a recommendation from another forum user here. The quality is excellent and my 17 stone, body builder pal can barely get the soles to flex. I spoke to the shop about sizing and was advised that they were "true": I bought my usual size and they are a great fit.

If you do like the look of them, have a look for their Ebay page: I only paid £64.99.

S_t_e_v_e

Veteran
My Lidl SPD's are a size 42 - fit good
My work boots are a size 43 - room for 2 pairs of socks (I don't cycle in 'em)
My Shimano MW80's are a 44 - Fit good, but not enough room for 2 pairs of socks... and I've just bought a pair of insoles from Lidl - size 42 and they are the same size as the insoles in the Shimanos. :huh:

Go to a bike shop and try some on....

Tomba

I found Shimano I had to go two sizes up and still they were too narrow.
Specialized I went one size up and the width was perfect :smile:

Best to get in to a shop and try some on.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I found Shimano I had to go two sizes up and still they were too narrow.

Best to get in to a shop and try some on.

Wot he said...^^^^^^

I tried buying on-line and found that two returned pairs cost more in postage than any savings over a real shop. You could always order three different sizes on-line and return the two sizes that don't fit, but even that won't work for some people with wider feet. I eventually went down to Evans and got some North Wave MTB shoes that are really comfortable, on and off the bike.

I've used Shimano ( road shoes & mtb boots), Lake ( road shoes), Northwave ( road boots) and Sidi (road shoes & mtb boots), and FWIW I've had to go up one size with them all.

Internet ordering can be hit and miss due to sizing, but Wiggle were doing free returns on shoes and clothing, although I don't if this was a limited offer?

OP
OP
O

opticcircus

Thanks for all the replies guys
biggrin.gif
I was looking for spd's for use on my roadie and have taken what you said all said on board and will be able to make a decision now
rolleyes.gif
whistling.gif

Gandalf

Veteran
Has anyone else been disappointed with the newer incarnations of Lidl shoes? I have had to retire my old Lidl shoes, the grey and orange ones, as the velcro strap had had it.

The newer black ones are too tight in the toe box and the heel cup is too loose. Too soon to comment on longevity.

Top Bottom