Looking for a cheap roadbike, suggestions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave1207

my old tried and trusted went over it's last hill over the summer but as a student I don't have much money for a replacement and was hoping to replace it for under £200 and would ideally be looking for a road/racing bike does anyone know any bikes cheap enough that are a reasonable quality? All input appreciated :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Ideal would be a Triban 3 from Decathlon, but £300 and very short supply

Best to look second hand really for £200

Robwiz

Regular
+1 for Triban 3 and in short supply at the moment. Carrera TdF at £299 from Halfrods may be an okay alternative if you are happy with a frame size that's a good fit for you.

Below £300 you will get a clunky old frame, down tube shifters and inferior kit so second hand would be the way to go.

amaferanga

Veteran
You really should look for a used bike as any new bike for that sort of money will have really poor quality parts. By contrast, you should be able to pick up a very decent used road bike for £200. The forum classifieds here and on Bikeradar are good places for picking up reasonably priced bikes. If you can stretch to £300 I'd still say go used instead of something like the Triban 3.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
You have a choice:
- save up and buy one of the £300 bikes mentioned (Raleigh Airlite is worth a look too).
- buy second hand, IF you know what to look for or know someone who does.

With respect, the fact that you are considering that Barracuda suggests you don't know what to look for; so unless you know an experienced cyclist the choice is made for you.

If you search the forums you will find many threads on this subject.

vickster

Legendary Member
Does it have to have drops? You'll generally get a better specced / condition flat bar 'hybrid' for £200 than roadbike. Just avoid anything with suspension

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Second-hand makes sense - my Carrera (now in the auction forum here) was relatively cheap to buy and is pretty-bomb proof.

I know someone with the Barracuda. It's basic but works and he wanted to buy new at £200. However, it is very heavy, limited gear options and I'd not run it at much speed.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've let decent bikes go for £100-150 in the past. (To people who were going to ride them, not bung them back on eBay for £150-200!) You wouldn't be able to buy a good bike for that kind of price new.

As others have mentioned though - you need to make sure that you are getting a good deal if buying a used bike so get someone who knows what they are doing to check it out for you.

Oh, and ask for proof of ownership - don't risk buying a stolen bike!

GazK

Veteran
Top Bottom