Looking for a lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HCFC Clark

Basically, im starting gym next week and my bike will need to be locked up outside the shopping centre whilst im in there, so im on the lookout for a lock that will keep my bike nice and safe while i sweat my b*llocks off...

I currently have this and i have no problems with it, its great while im at college and stuff but i can keep an eye on it there, wheras at the gym it'll be well out of my site.

I've heard cracking reviews from this, but would like some suggestions of people on here on what to buy.

My budget is quite flexible, as i've already had one bike pinched this year and don't plan on having another one robbed.

Thanks.

Manonabike

Über Member
I would use two locks and one of them would be this one

DTD

Veteran
When I started going to the gym I also got chatting to the security guards so they know which is my bike and lock it up in front of a window and under the cctv.

There is a school of thought bout not locking it in the same place at the same time, but that's often not possible.

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Here's another vote for Kryptonite. The one I have is a U-lock with a cable, so I only carry the one. The only problem is the weight - at 1.5 kilos it's quite a significant addtion in my touring paniers. Here's the link.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Kryptonite Mini for me, and get the smallest one you can that is appropriate for your 'parking space' so that when locked up the lock is stuff as full as full can be so Johnny Scrote can't get his stubby (mini-jack) in and make off with your pride and joy.

I've added a thinner cable for my seatpost/saddle but I do wonder if that just draws attention to the saddle being worth nicking...

Manonabike

Über Member
Kryptonite Mini for me, and get the smallest one you can that is appropriate for your 'parking space' so that when locked up the lock is stuff as full as full can be so Johnny Scrote can't get his stubby (mini-jack) in and make off with your pride and joy.

I've added a thinner cable for my seatpost/saddle but I do wonder if that just draws attention to the saddle being worth nicking...

I also have that lock, my second lock and most importantly, the lock I use when I quickly pop out to the shops.... it's so small that fits in you rear jeans pocket :biggrin: very practical.

A cheap trick for securing the seat post, saddle and stem on your bike is to superglue a ball bearing to the head of the screw so that no Alan key will fit.... (you need to be sure that you really have finished with all the adjustments or it will take you 30 minutes to remove the ball bearing :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )

Turtle Dude

Great forum thread here:

Locks that work - London Fixed-gear and Single-speed

Its long, but what comes out of it is, in summary:

- cable locks and anything flex type are useless
- chains only work when they are too heavy to be carried; only good for fixed home or work situations
- quality d-locks best for portable security (use 2, one front and one rear)
- get something additional that makes a noise (cheap motorbike disk lock or padlock with alarm built in)
- ignore the sold secure ratings - they be hocus
- 16mm is the magic minimum thickness number (18mm is better), for chains or d-locks.​

Quite a reality hit, when you read it.​
I would go with some the above suggestions of using two d-locks. And they don't have to be that expensive; thick enough (16mm+) to not be able to be bolt cropped is the key.​
When out and about I use two D-locks, either an Abus Granit or a Kypto NY FHAG (for the rear frame and wheel) and a £25 17mm d-lock (Kerbus) with a built in alarm for the front and frame. £90 and you are about as good as protected as you can be.​

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'd suggest the LFGSS advice is a tad over the top outside the bike theft hotspots of the Great Wen. When it reaches the point where the locks weigh more than the bike's frame I start to question the advice. ymmv of course.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I also have that lock, my second lock and most importantly, the lock I use when I quickly pop out to the shops.... it's so small that fits in you rear jeans pocket :biggrin: very practical.

A cheap trick for securing the seat post, saddle and stem on your bike is to superglue a ball bearing to the head of the screw so that no Alan key will fit.... (you need to be sure that you really have finished with all the adjustments or it will take you 30 minutes to remove the ball bearing :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )

I've got a cafe stop lock, used only when the bike is in my line of sight. The kryptonite mini is my popping to the shops lock, it simply loops onto my belt and off we go. But then I'm lucky enough to have a popping to the shops bike to go with it!

Top Bottom