looking for a semidecent MTB for weekend blasts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Jdratcliffe

Jdratcliffe

cubist i am going to end up with this one i think looks stunning and a great N+1 just gotta wait for my insurence compensation to to come thou now.. question thou if i buy from the german site will the brakes be left - back right - front?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Having just bought a BTwin road bike for GTi Junior and been astonished at the value for money, I would say go to Decathlon and have a look at their BTwin mountain bikes.

Cubist

Still wavin'
cubist i am going to end up with this one i think looks stunning and a great N+1 just gotta wait for my insurence compensation to to come thou now.. question thou if i buy from the german site will the brakes be left - back right - front?
They'll be the wrong way round. It takes about five minutes to change them over, you literally have to undo the hose connectors as they go into the levers and swap the hoses round. To be safe you'll need an ebay bleed kit (about a tenner) and a fiver's worth of spare olives and hose inserts. Not a massive job given what you'll save!

Your budget puts you into some pretty tasty entry level bike territory. That Specialized is Ok, but is quite expensive for its equipment level, (or its equipment is low given the price tag)

For £900 I would want something substantially better than "entry level". How much are decent go anywhere mountain bikes these days?

VamP

Banned
A £450 bike will be compromised somewhere, probably the suspension fork and wheelset, and of course it will be HEAVY. It'll still go anywhere though :smile:

Norm

A £450 bike will be compromised somewhere, probably the suspension fork and wheelset, and of course it will be HEAVY. It'll still go anywhere though :smile:
I'd agree with that, and I've taken the opportunity, with the help of a friendly LBS, to upgrade the forks, wheels and brakes. Only after I'd done about 1,500 miles, though, and it served me well enough before the upgrades anyway. I only upgraded because someone owed a favour and the new parts came in pretty cheap.

Dan151

I've got the boardman ht pro. Took it to Hamsterley on Sunday and it was fantastic. Handled everything perfect even the root riddled black grade descents. Very very good value for money at £999. The fella at halfords actually set it up well, which was a surprise. There's a feature in this months MBUK for hardtail bikes from 700-900 quid. There's some good bikes there

Top Bottom