Looking for advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tanya

Hi I have just joined this forum I have only been cycling for the last couple of weeks but really love it! I would like to take part in an event later in the year not only to keep me motivated but also to try and raise money for macmillan, however the research I have done suggests that I have to be in a team of four or five people and I would find this tricky. Does anyone know of events in south wales where I can either join an existing team or cycle alone? As mentioned I am a beginner but can already feel my fitness improving and have been able to double my distance in the last couple of weeks although it is still only a very small distance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Risex4

Dropped by the autobus
Hi Tanya.

At a guess, the advice would be to hunt around for a local cycle club; the benefits would be two fold as you'd find people there to a) help keep you motivated and b) maybe join in with you on such rides. It would also get you used to group cycling which would be good experience to take into an event.

Have you got a particular event in mind that you want to enter? Is it an annual thing? I only ask becasue Im in a similar situation where I've seen events that I'd like to have a go at, but I've conceeded at the moment I'm probably not best prepared for them right now, so I've set myself a target of increasing fitness levels and joining a cycle club so I will be ready when they roll around again next year. Im not saying you can't go for a specific event you've seen straight away, but if there are obstacles (like the distance or the need to have a 'team'), then those obstacles simply get transformed into being targets to beat, and then how you go about beating them becomes part of the fun of progression. If that makes sense?

In the meantime, if a specific event is out of reach, could you not do something yourself if you feel strongly about raising money for a worthy concern? If you know your limitations as they stand now (lets say 30 miles as an example), could you not say right, in July Im going to do a 50/60 miles from here to Timbucktoo or whatever, see if you can rope some friends or family in for the fun of it and then forfeit the guys at home and work who won't join in to donate instead?, Then just go from there. Most charities in my experience are more than happy to give you whatever help and advice you may want if you contact them telling them you want to do something to raise some money.

OP
OP
T

Tanya

Hi
Thanks for advice, yes I have considered maybe just going it alone as I dont think there are any cycle clubs where I live. There is an event in swansea this year that isnt too challenging, may be a good start if I can convince a couple of my friends (they will probably only do it if its under 10K) The only thing is this for the British Heart Foundation and I wanted to raise money for macmillan ideally but will keep thinking about best options and see what happens :smile:. There is also a Brecon to Cardiff event but again a need to be in a team and my friends would faint if i even suggested half the route lol. The most exercise they get is lifting their glass of wine lol.

Top Bottom