Looking for some advice on a Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sk8chris

Hi Everyone

During a recent clean out of my grandparents garage I have dug out a Brompton which as Mountain biker I'm afriad I don't know too much about and they have asked me to find out what it might be worth as there is no need for it and it could go to someone who would get some joy out of it. If anyone on here can give me some info on the kind of bike it is and an idea about the value or how collectable they are that would be fantastic.

The bike was purchased in 1996 and on the sales receipt it's been labeled as a Brompton L3. It has been used only a couple of times so is in absolutely perfect condition, I'd be tempted to say like new. Kept in doors in its bag/cover.

It has all the original books, a cover and what looks like some kind of bag which I am assuming can be fitted to the bike.

Here are some photos, I didn't dare try to unfold it without knowing a bit more about it first.

Sorry if there a bit on the large side, and if any more would be useful I'll gladly provide them.

Thanks

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I don't really know what information you need, seems you have the handbook. Used mainly by commuters. These are produced in their thousands so there is no rarity value, just a quality folding bike. If you need a value look on eBay and see what they are going for or just ride it!

OP
OP
S

sk8chris

Thanks for the replies. The main things I was wondering as this is a bike from 1996, are there any differences between this bike and newer models. Are there any design changes that make this bike more or less desirable than a more modern Brompton?.

What price should I be looking to sell a bike like this? I had a look on ebay and the price looks to be anything from £300-£700 with some even touching the £1000 mark.
Do the extras bag, booklets add anything to the value?

Thanks

Ganymede

Veteran
Hiya

I am in bed with a cold and nothing to do so I have googled for you.

Rundown of the bike's attributes: http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Brompton-L3-3-Speed-Folding-Bicycle-/10000000000008735/g.html

Bit of a price discussion in Another Place, out of date but probably useful: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=9793.0

I would have thought you could sell this via ebay for a good price. Friends of mine who buzz around London (ie not just commuting but having to go to several different places on the same day) cannot get enough of Bromptons, in fact I have had to ask them to stop going on about the convenience, the security (cos you can take them inside with you), the ingenuity etc etc etc. Post it up as "genuinely as new", with the extras of having the (quite pricey) bags as well, and you should get your hand bitten off.

Current Bromptons on eBay (nb mostly newer models): http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=brompton+folding+bike&_sacat=0&_from=R40

*sniffle*

Matthames

Über Member
Differences between an the older Brompton and the newer ones is not a lot TBH. The newer parts can be retrofitted to an older Brompton with ease.

Going at the prices that are listed on ebay, you should be able to get £600-£700 for it. Bromptons hardly ever depreciate.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Thanks for the replies. The main things I was wondering as this is a bike from 1996, are there any differences between this bike and newer models. Are there any design changes that make this bike more or less desirable than a more modern Brompton?.

What price should I be looking to sell a bike like this? I had a look on ebay and the price looks to be anything from £300-£700 with some even touching the £1000 mark.
Do the extras bag, booklets add anything to the value?

Thanks
the main differences between one from the 90's and a current one are
yours has a slightly shorter, 3cm iirc, wheelbase as they changed the hinge
and
yours probably has the worst brakes in the world ever fitted to a decent bike. But still adequate.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
brakes will be the main difference, the recent 2012/13 upgrade made a hell of a difference. The age may deter some casual browsers to ebay etc but you should be looking for £400-500 ono, given the condition described, I would think, maybe more if you catch a couple of purists who get the retro vibe and associated bits.
Personally I'd hang onto it for a bit and have a go yourself, they're incredibly useful things, nowhere near as daft or 'toy bike' as they look.

Ganymede

Veteran
brakes will be the main difference, the recent 2012/13 upgrade made a hell of a difference. The age may deter some casual browsers to ebay etc but you should be looking for £400-500 ono, given the condition described, I would think, maybe more if you catch a couple of purists who get the retro vibe and associated bits.
Personally I'd hang onto it for a bit and have a go yourself, they're incredibly useful things, nowhere near as daft or 'toy bike' as they look.
I would hold onto it too. I'm actually a bit envious. I wish I'd found a Brompton in my grandparents' garage....

OP
OP
S

sk8chris

Thanks for all the replies, It's really apprecaited. As far is keeping it that may be a possibilty but the bike does belong to my grandparents i'm just doing the leg work for them as they were curious as to what it would sell for so I'll get back to them and see what they want to do with it. Thanks again for all the help.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It may need new tyres and tubes.

It's been stored in dry, dark conditions by the sound of it, which is ideal, but 18 years is plenty time enough for the rubber to perish.

mllond

Def agree you should try to keep it - pretty special! In addition to checking tyres, consider updating saddle and adding Eazy Wheels - you might find yourself using it more than the mountain bike! Just back from a Caen-Bordeaux trip (>350 miles) and there was a Brompton of similar age to yours which coped no problem.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Usually a Brompton of that age I'd say £400-ish, plus £50 for the bag, but that really does look to be in mint condition. I'd say you could get £5-600 all-in if you're prepared to be a bit patient.

Top Bottom