Looking for spare nuts, bolts and cotter pins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CrazyBrit97

Regular
hey I'm looking for spare nuts,bolts and cotter pins for my 1954 Raleigh Robin Hood bike before I attempt to remove them I want some spares to fall back on. Thanks

sidevalve

Über Member
Cotter pins try E bay. nuts bolts depends on thread - if it's cycle and you're really stuck try the classic m/cycle suppliers many old bikes [BSA for example] used cycle thread

tyred

Legendary Member
Lots of cotterpins on Ebay, you need 3/8" British standard. Don't buy the really cheap ones which are made from chrome plated Cadbury's Dairy Milk.

Some nuts like those to hold the wheels on and on brake fittings etc will be cycle specific threads. For other things like mudguard mounting bolts, just buy off the shelf 5mm or 3/16" bolts from the hardware shop.

With care and some Plus Gas most should unscrew anyway. These bikes were made with quality steel and people often greased threads on assembly to make life easier next time as a bike was for life then, not just until something more fashionable came along.

shadaboot27

I have everything you need mate. All correct period undamaged Raleigh cotter pins, bolts washers whatever you need. But there is an easy way to remove cotter pins without damaging them. You shouldn't ever hit them out with a hammer. This will almost always "mushroom" the ends or bend/snap them. Remove the nut and washer, then put a socket over the non threaded end, then put it in a vice, making sure the pin is in nice and parallel so it doesn't bend when you tighten the vice, then tighten the vice by a few turns and it should pop right out undamaged, if it doesn't come out after a few turns of the vice you probably need to re-position it as its not in straight, if you tighten it too much and it doesn't come out then its probably not in parallel and your probably bending it, which you don't want because then it will be even harder to get out. To make this a lot easier to do strip the rest of the bike down and get all the parts off the frame so it's easier to hold and position it in the vice. I hope this helps.

Top Bottom