Loose cassette rings after cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
I've just stripped and cleaned my bike and taken the shimano ultegra cassette apart - after reinstalling it is loose and some of the rings can be moved - does this mean I need to tighten the lockring more or have I put the black plastic spacers on wrong?

Cheers

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
p.s. it is 10 speed and isn't worn or anything (only done 2000 miles ish at the most)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
When you say they move, do you mean rotational or side to side.
If side to side, then yes you need to tighten the lock ring.

Here's a pdf from Shimano that shows a good illustration of which rings/spacers go where.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Cheers for that link. I mean rotational movement - there was none before I dissassembled the cassette. How much umph should go into tightening it? I don't want to tighten it so much that I will never be able to remove it

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It's still possible to put them back on in the correct order, tighten to the right torque and them still find one or two loose cogs!
Reason? Many modern cassette hubs are quite light and soft material, the splines gets scored aand one of the cogs snaggs and is not fully butted against the next. Everything tightens-up but eventually the snagg breaks/wears and suddenly you have a loose cog. Also if not everything is fully cleaned when you reassemble it's possible to get a small bit of grit/crud between to cogs giving the same effect...
I have learned these things...:whistle:

I wonder if it's possible to put one of the rings on the wrong way round - and if that can lead to play problems? Not possible with Campag - one of the splines is specially shaped and asymmetrical, so that it's impossible to put a ring on incorrectly. The only mistake you can make is leaving out a spacer. But I haven't tried with other makes of cassette.

Top Bottom