Loose crank arm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The left crank arm of my Brompton seems to keep working off. I recently had to take the crank off to remove the pedal bearing and I wonder whether I back on tightly enough. Last night I used to mallet to bash the crank on as much as I could, then used my socket set to screw the bolt in tight. However, by this afternoon, it was wobbling again. I wonder whether I need to replace the left crank now, or even worse, the bottom bracket. I had a situation like this once before and I ended up glueing the crank on with some superstrong glue that you have to mix. Surprisingly that held up quite well, but that was on a cheap bike and I wouldn't want to do that with my Brompton.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
It'll be your crank pal. Best get it changed 'cos it'll bug you FOREVER even if you do manage to re-jig the tapers with a bit of coke can.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Don't take any chances ...!

cracked-crank.jpg

I wouldn't bash my cranks on with a mallet!

Tightening the bolt down properly should be enough if all is well.

I would have thought that the crank is more likely to get rounded rather than the BB spindle.

Zoiders

You borkened the crank when you rode it without the bolt in properly, then smashing it with the mallet didn't help matters either.

Ruined the square taper - new crank needed.

Top Bottom