Loose head

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
If it is brand new you should get the shop you got the bike from to check it.

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
Thanks for answering.
Yes normally I'd bring it back to the shop but in this case it's Halfords and synchronising when I have time off work and the bike mechanic being on duty might mean a lengthy time with no bike.

presta

Guru
Note that the screw on the top cap is not like the expander bolt on a quill stem, you don't screw it down tight. With the stem clamp slack, you just tighten it far enough to remove the free play in the bearing, but not enough to make the headset bind.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Note that the screw on the top cap is not like the expander bolt on a quill stem, you don't screw it down tight. With the stem clamp slack, you just tighten it far enough to remove the free play in the bearing, but not enough to make the headset bind.

Bear in mind that you've got a lot of leeway when applying torque on a cartridge bearing headset before it binds. I've found that you need an extra 1/4 - 1/3 of a turn after removing the free play otherwise the cartridge won't settle in the tube and it will always feel loose.

Thanks for answering.
Yes normally I'd bring it back to the shop but in this case it's Halfords and synchronising when I have time off work and the bike mechanic being on duty might mean a lengthy time with no bike.

The Halford legendary infamy of poorly assembled bikes strikes again. I seen it with my own eyes, fork wrong way around on display model.

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
Hi all,
well i went there this afternoon and as luck might have it the mechanic was there and he immediately saw the issue and also admitted that bikes i hurriedly put together by some amateurs. He added a ring and then applied carbon paste and noted that the stem was not seated properly. Feels good now.
There are some competent machics there.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
HI all,
my brand new hybrid seems to have developed a loose head. Normally i would just tighten it but this time it is one of the onepiece systems as featured on this bike:
https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2347-hyb-8.9-2021.html
so just wondering is it the same way to tighten, just loosen the stem bolts and then tighten the headset bolt?
Thanks

Yes. adjust then check that the fork swings freely side-to-side and there's no play apparent when you rock the bike with the front brake on. It's only a return-to-shop job if the bearings are rough or you can't achieve both free steering and no free-play.

Top Bottom