Loose Headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thomk

Guru
I have a rattle which sounds and feels like it's coming from my headset. I am a total beginner in fettling bikes and wondered how realistic it is for me to try to sort it out myself. Do I need special tools? It's a Defy 2 2011.

It's reasonably easy - everything slides into place without force or tools. So you just have to remember the order that they go in.

However the easiest fix is to apply the front brake and rock the bike .

If you can feel play then the headset just needs tightening up. To do this loosen the bolts that attach the stem to the steerer and then tighten up the the bolt on the top cap. Then check for play.

If the play has gone - re-tighten the stem and away you go.

lulubel

Über Member
If you can feel play then the headset just needs tightening up. To do this loosen the bolts that attach the stem to the steerer and then tighten up the the bolt on the top cap. Then check for play.

But don't tighten the bolt too much - just small amounts like 1/4 or even 1/8 of a turn until it's tight enough. If you lift the bike by the top tube, the front wheel should still naturally turn to one side. I made the mistake of doing mine up "nice and tight" the first time I did it, but fortunately realised what I'd done before I rode the bike, when I lifted it and the front wheel stayed pointing straight ahead!

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
Thanks all. I checked for play in the headset and there was none. I think I cured it though this morning by taking the seatpost out and greasing it together with the outside clamp (which had never been greased) and I think it is cured :cheers: Strange how a noise on a bike can seem to come from one place but be in another completely.

raindog

er.....
Strange how a noise on a bike can seem to come from one place but be in another completely.
Spot on.
A couple of years ago I spent weeks and weeks trying to trace a creaking noise on one of my bikes and that turned out to be a dry seat post too. A bit of grease and I had a silent bike again.
Weird, isn't it? ^_^

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thanks all. I checked for play in the headset and there was none. I think I cured it though this morning by taking the seatpost out and greasing it together with the outside clamp (which had never been greased) and I think it is cured :cheers: Strange how a noise on a bike can seem to come from one place but be in another completely.
Its amazing how sound travels , i could have sworn my seatpost was clicking last week and it turned out that the pedal had a bit of grit in it and a blast of gt 85 sorted it out.

Top Bottom