loose left cleat/pedal SPD-SL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jarlrmai

Veteran
No matter how much I tighten the left cleat and wearing band new cleats I can feel my left shoe/cleat combo move slightly as I pedal, the right side is fine.

Is this a worn out pedal (left side is where I clip out most)

Is this a new problem following a change of cleat/shoe ? if so you may have overtightened it and stripped the thread. If its your first time to cleats, it might just be float.

OP
OP
jarlrmai

jarlrmai

Veteran
No i've had the pedals for ages (2 years), started noticing more since I've been doing regular longer rides of 50+ miles at higher cadence, there's a definite movement of the cleat in the pedal which is not present on the right pedal.

I'm used to the left right float, but this is a more up and down movement as I bring the pedal back and up and forward and down.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
It is probably wear to the surface of the pedal from unclipping (the toe of the pedal also wears down through this).

However also check for play in the axle.

What pedals are they?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I'm surprised because Shimano introduced a metal plate on the top of the pedal to cure this precise problem.

Another possibility is that the spring on the clip-in is set to its lightest setting and is opening up slightly when pressure is applied - a quick tighten up would cure this.

Do you know what sort of mileage you have done on the pedals?

I last replaced some SPD-SLs at 13,815-miles with the left (put down side) significantly more worn.

The front of the pedal was very worn so my shoe would pop-out if pulling up hard (not good on a fixed).

OP
OP
jarlrmai

jarlrmai

Veteran
I would say around 10,000+ miles.

I have tried tightening the pedal seems not to have fixed things, looks like I should get some new pedals.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
If you can't properly tighten the cleat screws, the thread/s may be buggered.

Top Bottom