Lost a stone since August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
wafflycat said:
Congratulations!

I'm holding at about a 70lb loss since February. I am on target to lose a couple of pounds this week though :biggrin:

Excellent!

You both must tell your secrets - I'm struggling; the harder I try to lose, the more I put on. My way is obviously wrong.

wafflycat

My secret is not to diet. I go to WeightWatchers and it's definitely not a diet. I actually eat more than I used to: a lot more. I do, however, eat exceedinly healthily 99% of the time. Under WW, nothing is banned, it's moderation in everything except non-startchy veg that's the key. I have, however, voluntarily given up cheese (a real weakness as I can easily overeat on that) and have had only three glasses of alcohol since then. I eat vast acreages of fruit & veg and I do beleive I am turning into a walking compost heap. I cycled anyway, even when very overweight. I weigh & measure everything and write down what I eat (food diary) that way I keep on track of not only what I have eaten but what I must yet eat to be eating enough to keep the metabolism going and burning calories up.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I went to weight watcher a few years ago and stuck it for about 5 months. I lost weight but in th e end I caved in. I think the reason was more to do with the weekly meetings/weighings which I found to be nothing more than a gaggle of overweight chavy housewives there for a gossip session (no offense WC!)....not for me.

Starting cycling this year just seemed to break the cycle (almost literally!) It has given me some kind of reason to be (sounds a bit heavy I know but that is the best I can put it), it's a light at the end of the tunnel, a way out...

I dont drink alcohol , I dont smoke, I dont have any of the 'traditional' vices...and I eat sensibly these days although I am not following any kind of set diet.
I am lucky in a way to have time to ride each day as and when I feel up to it. That has been a big reason why i have been able to continue, in short I have been 'pacing myself' as per medical advice. I am also taking high doses of AD medication which can give me a stubborn blinkered approach to things at times....compulsive behaviour I am told.

...oh well ...whatever....att he end of the day it's what it is...I burn off more than I eat so i lose weight...not rocket science, but it took me 46 years to figure it out

wafflycat

Oh definitely more women go to WW than blokes. Shame really as there's a lot of blokes who could do with taking the good advice about healthy eating & exercise on board. At the group I go to, the key is a good WW leader. Mine is *excellent* meetings are full of good supportive advice on how to lose weight sensibly and to keep it off long term. My husband goes too and there's the other occasional bloke, but the bottom line is that if you go to meetings & stay to them you are more likely to be successful at losing the weight & keeping it off. Every week there's good literature given out on a particular aspect of healthy eating & losing weight. There's short-term goals set so that if you have a lot to lose, it's not too daunting, as there's smaller goals set along the way, which are more easily achievable and then these soon mount up to get you nearer to a healthy BMI.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

WW's is a good thing. It does work if you keep going to the meetings. My wife lost lot's of weight several years ago there & made some new friends as well. I think a lot does depend on the leader of the group and the others there. Like I said I didnt fit in and dreaded the weekly meetings because I was always so tired and because of the incessant gossip...yap..yap...yap...Ironically I suppose this 'gossip' is probably a big factor in WW's appeal to the ladies which in turn keeps them going and losing weight...which is good.

wafflycat

Bigtallfatbloke said:
WW's is a good thing. It does work if you keep going to the meetings. My wife lost lot's of weight several years ago there & made some new friends as well. I think a lot does depend on the leader of the group and the others there. Like I said I didnt fit in and dreaded the weekly meetings because I was always so tired and because of the incessant gossip...yap..yap...yap...Ironically I suppose this 'gossip' is probably a big factor in WW's appeal to the ladies which in turn keeps them going and losing weight...which is good.

Oh dear, sweeping generalisation about the ladies there BFTB.. does it occur to you that this forum is just another mode of gossiping :biggrin:

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Well done BTFB, you;re gonner have to change you name. How about
THEBIGTALLBLOKEWHOLOSTALOTOFWEIGHTCYCLING :biggrin:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...absolutly...I apologise. I reckon if it were full of blokes they'd all be gossiping just as much if not more....it's just that I was th eonly bloke at my meetings.

Top Bottom