Lost wallet/found wallet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Having lost my wallet yesterday, and cancelled all my cards etc, it's just turned up, thanks to the mystery bus cleaner at Alnwick bus station. Thanks, mystery cleaner! The cycling link is that I get to cycle to Alnwick tomorrow to pick it up, which is a really nice ride. :laugh:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
What a heartening story!

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I remember when I found a purse outside my house and took it to the police station down the road. The next day the lady who owned it arrived at my house with effusive thanks. She tried to press a tenner on me to say thank you; I said it wasn't necessary but she was so insistent I agreed to take it so that I could pass it on to charity (which I did).

The thing is, I felt that her thankfulness was really a sad sign of today's society in that she fully expected someone to have made off with it. The fact that I handed it in meant I should be rewarded, even though I had actually done what should have been the automatic thing.

Auntie Helen said:
I remember when I found a purse outside my house and took it to the police station down the road. The next day the lady who owned it arrived at my house with effusive thanks. She tried to press a tenner on me to say thank you; I said it wasn't necessary but she was so insistent I agreed to take it so that I could pass it on to charity (which I did).

The thing is, I felt that her thankfulness was really a sad sign of today's society in that she fully expected someone to have made off with it. The fact that I handed it in meant I should be rewarded, even though I had actually done what should have been the automatic thing.

Yes - it's like giving you a tenner doesn't make society as a whole any more honest, and since you handed the thing in, you were obviously one of the intrinsically honest people anyway!

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Yes, it was nice to hear it'd been handed in... apart from inconvenience of cancelling cards and waiting for replacements, it only held personal stuff plus a few euros and about 20 quid in Turkish money.. no sterling :biggrin: It was a nice ride to pick it up too, and I gave a "thank you" card to be handed over to cleaner. :biggrin:

Mr Pig

Fnaar said:
it's just turned up, thanks to the mystery bus cleaner

Is that person who cleans the mystery bus? You know, the bus that comes and takes away all of the ugly girls in the night club once you've had a few drinks and replaces them with a room full of stunners?

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Mr Pig said:
Is that person who cleans the mystery bus? You know, the bus that comes and takes away all of the ugly girls in the night club once you've had a few drinks and replaces them with a room full of stunners?
Probably... the same one who goes around handing out beer goggles. :biggrin:

Dan bo - it's a nice place, innit? I live 20-odd miles away, lovely countryside nearby... I was gonna cycle home too after my little trip, but the back roads were very very icy in places, so Mrs F brought the car up and carted me and the bike home. :smile:

A

another_dave_b

Auntie Helen said:

Perhaps she'd just given the thing up for lost, mouldering away in a puddle, and she wanted you to share in her good fortune?

pzycoman

Auntie Helen said:
The thing is, I felt that her thankfulness was really a sad sign of today's society in that she fully expected someone to have made off with it.

Few months ago, my girlfriend left her phone ontop of one of those pay for your carpark thingys (You know what I mean!) - she called me from her house an hour later saying she'd lost her phone, but 10mins before that, this lovely chap picked the phone up and called the last dialled number (me), and said he'd just found this fone - he was a bit surprised when I said "Hi baby" - I honestly didnt expect the phone to turn up, I just expected some scroat to take the SIM out and sell it on. So I got him a big box of choccies and a gift card as thanks.

Top Bottom