Low flying plane...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter

This has got to be my all time favourite.

http://video.news.sky.com/skynews/v...skynews/latest/flash/plane_landing_030308.flv

Lufthansa Airbus from Munich struggled through 155 mph gusts of wind upon landing.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i once flew into hong kong's old airport in a 747. it looked like the plane was about as wide as the gaps between the tower blocks, and you could see what was on the tvs of the people in the flats ;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I saw a low-flying hot air balloon once at Widdop reservoir, up on the moors above Hebden Bridge.

3212.jpg

I was riding my MTB riding up a bridleway behind the reservoir when I heard a strange roaring sound from above me. When I looked up I saw a big red balloon dropping down towards the reservoir. The pilot (?) was trying frantically to get hot air in for added lift, but the balloon kept sinking lower and lower. In the end the basket hit the water in the middle of the reservoir and I thought the guy was going to end up drowning beneath the balloon. As the balloon started collapsing, the pilot gave the gas burner one really long blast and the whole thing started to go back up again. As the balloon rose into the air, hundreds of gallons of water came cascading down from the basket!

It seemed a pretty near miss at the time, but later on I began to wonder if the pilot had done it deliberately for kicks. Pretty impressive control if he did it on purpose, or pretty awful control if he didn't ;)!

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
Peter said:
This has got to be my all time favourite.

http://video.news.sky.com/skynews/v...skynews/latest/flash/plane_landing_030308.flv

Lufthansa Airbus from Munich struggled through 155 mph gusts of wind upon landing.

there a few clips on youtube of pilots landing in windy weather. pretty impressive, but it must be the technique they use in wind to point into the windy and then as they touch down turn the plane the right way coz they all do it.

my sister had a hairy aborted landing at birmingham in windy weather ... well... five actually! the pilot decided after his 5th attempt to try landing at manchester instead... much to the relief of my sister and the rest of the passengers.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
St. Maarten - Princess Juliana

Top tip: if offered a double-decker bus tour of the island, check the airport timetable before sitting on the top deck:

1350838.jpg

Ben

Top Bottom