Lower back pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

well it's set upas comfortable as I can get it...it's not been done by a pro. It was fine then I started getting pain. I was actually wondering if the saddle might be to high...but...

as for pushing hgigh gears the answer is no I am not. I am getting pretty adept at being in the right gear at the right time and spinning th ewheels and making th ebike do th ework.

I am using th edrops a lot more in the recent winds though...maybe thats part of th eissue.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

well it's set upas comfortable as I can get it...it's not been done by a pro. It was fine then I started getting pain. I was actually wondering if the saddle might be to high...but...

as for pushing hgigh gears the answer is no I am not. I am getting pretty adept at being in the right gear at the right time and spinning th ewheels and making th ebike do th ework.

I am using th edrops a lot more in the recent winds though...maybe thats part of th eissue.

Danny

Legendary Member
I have had lower back problems on and off for quite a few years and regularly see a chiropractor. She is strongly of the opinion that riding bent over on drop handlebars is a disaster as far as the long term health of your back is concerned, and keeps trying to persuade me to get a sit-up-and-beg bike.

I'm not yet prepared to give up on drop handlebars, but have compromised by fitting a very short stem, and raising them to the height of my saddle. I also try to vary my riding position, and ride on the brake hoods as much as possible. Also when I start to feel pain while I am riding I find it helps if I stop and stretch for a few minutes. All of this has helped but not cured the problem.

When I have time, and some spare cash, I was going to pay for a proper bike fitting session, either from Paul Hewitt or from Cycle Fit in Covent Garden, both of whom have been much praised in this forum and elsewhere.

Danny

Legendary Member
I have had lower back problems on and off for quite a few years and regularly see a chiropractor. She is strongly of the opinion that riding bent over on drop handlebars is a disaster as far as the long term health of your back is concerned, and keeps trying to persuade me to get a sit-up-and-beg bike.

I'm not yet prepared to give up on drop handlebars, but have compromised by fitting a very short stem, and raising them to the height of my saddle. I also try to vary my riding position, and ride on the brake hoods as much as possible. Also when I start to feel pain while I am riding I find it helps if I stop and stretch for a few minutes. All of this has helped but not cured the problem.

When I have time, and some spare cash, I was going to pay for a proper bike fitting session, either from Paul Hewitt or from Cycle Fit in Covent Garden, both of whom have been much praised in this forum and elsewhere.

ChrisW

Dannyg said:

Went on Wednesday with my physio. Quite expensive but did set my bike up in a way that will be less stressful on my back and will increase power through to the pedals.

If you ride a lot or suffer a lot of back pain (i do both) then it is worth it.

ChrisW

Dannyg said:

Went on Wednesday with my physio. Quite expensive but did set my bike up in a way that will be less stressful on my back and will increase power through to the pedals.

If you ride a lot or suffer a lot of back pain (i do both) then it is worth it.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
ColinJ said:
- the time I picked up my 22" colour TV and carried it half a mile to the local post office to send it back to be repaired under warranty. I don't drive and was too proud to cadge a lift, and too mean to pay for a taxi!
I do things like that! Thankfully never had any serious back probs meself, except when I was a washer-upper and cleaner in a hospital many yrs ago....
a friend however, his back went while he was in his car in a multi-storey car park, a few years BM (before mobiles). He had to convince wary passers-by that he wasn't a perve calling to them from his car, and could they please call him an ambulance! ;) He then spent a week in the hozzy 50 miles from home! :biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
ColinJ said:
- the time I picked up my 22" colour TV and carried it half a mile to the local post office to send it back to be repaired under warranty. I don't drive and was too proud to cadge a lift, and too mean to pay for a taxi!
I do things like that! Thankfully never had any serious back probs meself, except when I was a washer-upper and cleaner in a hospital many yrs ago....
a friend however, his back went while he was in his car in a multi-storey car park, a few years BM (before mobiles). He had to convince wary passers-by that he wasn't a perve calling to them from his car, and could they please call him an ambulance! ;) He then spent a week in the hozzy 50 miles from home! :biggrin:

girofan

It all depends whether it's a muscular or skeletal problem BTFB. Anyone can give advice as I am tempted to do, but after years of on/off suffering one thing you learn is that no two peoples problems are the same.
Get professional advice, first from your GP. And if he says "what do you expect riding a bike/at your age" thump him, then change doctor.
Alternatively see a physio and chiropractor.

girofan

It all depends whether it's a muscular or skeletal problem BTFB. Anyone can give advice as I am tempted to do, but after years of on/off suffering one thing you learn is that no two peoples problems are the same.
Get professional advice, first from your GP. And if he says "what do you expect riding a bike/at your age" thump him, then change doctor.
Alternatively see a physio and chiropractor.

Top Bottom