Lower back pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnny

Why am i getting lower back pain (feels muscular) on my road bike? I don't get this on my mtb and i am guessing its due to either inflexibility or i don't have the bike tweeked to fit properly yet? Any suggestions?

Pottsy

Your position is going to be different on the road bike. I assume your handlebars are lower comparitive to the saddle on the road versus MTB? I guess you either might try tweaking your position or maybe you'll get used to it after more miles. Is the road bike new then?

OP
OP
J

johnny

Kind of new, had it for about 3 months now, but haven't been out much the last month due to the weather (still don't trust those skinny wheels on a wet road) so have been on the mtb instead. Just searched the old cyclingplus forum and found some stuff about backpain and flexibility/hamstrings, i've had probs with overly tight hamstrings in the past so will start doing more stretching to see if that sorts the problem.

Keith Oates

Janner
A few more hours on the roadie will possibly get you used to the position and get rid of the pain. If not then try changing your over all set up ( seat height and position for starters), a little bit at a time and it should come good in the end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

col

Legendary Member
Why not try some gentle stretching and loosening up movements daily too?you would be surprised how much it helps(if there is nothing wrong that is)

skwerl

aparently lower back pain is usually caused by inflexibility in the hamstrings. try stretching those after every ride.

Blonde

Wot 'e said above, tight hams plus saddle may be too high - if too high it will over stretch your hamstrings when pedalling, which may be the cause. Try lowering saddle by just a couple of mm, and gentle hamstring stretches - only v gentle though, and after your ride, not before. Also Keith Oats may be right - your handle bars may be too low or too far away to reach without straining your back. Try a shorter stem and/or bring stem up by a few mm if you have some stack height left on the steerer to allow this.

OP
OP
J

johnny

The stretching is working! I can now touch my toes...again. And next week is looking dry and sunny for some evening rides on the skinny wheels (though i had a lovely ride in the rain on the mtb yesterday).

Top Bottom