lubrication

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve keay

Über Member
Ive been building a retro Raleigh for my short commute to work, (see the vintage forum) I have a quick question, what is the best thing to use for lubricating my chain, cogs and cables. when I was a kid I just used 3 in 1 oil for everything. I guess things may have moved on since then. Thoughts appreciated.
Thankyou

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
3 in 1 is really a bit too thin for chain lubrication. There is a big choice of dedicated chain oils available from any bike shop or if you want something cheaper you could try chainsaw oil which works well and doesn't attract too much dirt.
I'm using this at the moment and am getting on well with it.

sabian92

Über Member
I personally use Finish Line Wet, which is quite good. There's the Dry as well which is designed for dry summer usage but obviously it's neither dry nor summer in the UK...

mangid

Guru
I personally use Finish Line Wet, which is quite good. There's the Dry as well which is designed for dry summer usage but obviously it's either dry nor summer in the UK...

Yep, finish line wet here as well, used it for years, Just wiped chain down after morning ride in the wet and reapplied.

I tweeted Mike Hall (leading round the world race) to ask what he was using, and he's using Viking Juice. He's been over some pretty ropey looking dirt tracks in Oregon. If it's good enough to get you round the world ... Might have to give it a go,

Top Bottom