Lubrication?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris Bore

I recently bought a Raleigh Comfort hybrid bike, and have started to ride it on the beach. That gets a lot of salt water on the chain, and I would like to know what lubricant or protector would be best?

I was thinking of a spray so I can cover the chain quickly after washing the bike with fresh water after a beach ride. Someone recommended WD40, but I am not sure that is best.

I'd value any advice.

Thanks,

Chris

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Not WD40 ... as apparently its a water dispersent rather than a lubricant ... (well that's what I've been told by the "experts" on here:biggrin:).

Whether you need to take additional care living near the sea, I wouldn't know .... I use a little bottle of Finish Line Wet Lube.

Chris James

Über Member
Riding the bike on the beach isn't a good idea.

Salt water can be washed off after the ride using a hose pipe (low pressure!!). A thick lube like Finish Line Cross Country would keep the worst of the salt water off in any case ... however, it would attract sand like a fly to muck.

I would be more concerned about sand wearing out your drive chain than surface rust due to salt water.

on the road

Über Member
No lubricant is going to protect your bike from sand and salt water. The only option is to give your bike a thorough clean afterwards and then re-lubricate.

Mr Pig

on the road said:
No lubricant is going to protect your bike from sand and salt water.

No. What I was thinking is that if you're going to ride on the beach what about buying an old bike just for that? Some old clunker with no gears that you don't need to worry about. Just a thought.

Mr Pig said:
No. What I was thinking is that if you're going to ride on the beach what about buying an old bike just for that? Some old clunker with no gears that you don't need to worry about. Just a thought.

No gears? Not even one?

Top Bottom