Lying is OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David Higson

Headway lie blatantly on their website

Which really makes one wonder..... if helmets are half as effective as claimed, why all the dishonesty and lies?

Dishonesty and lies are what sells in all fields of commerce from cars, to houses, to the content of fat in fat-free spreads. It really is all about the money from sales. Don't believe what you read without checking the agenda of the writer. Africa, India and China, whilst being the majority users of bicycles in this world, seem to get by largely without helmets. This, in spite of woefully bad roads in the country and impressively scary motor traffic in urban areas. We seemed to manage the first hundred years of the "safety bicycle" without the need for extra protection to the head. The densely cycled cities of the Netherlands don't have many helmet wearing riders, in spite of the reason for the increase in Dutch cycling being due to the number of children killed in road accidents in the 1960's and 70's. You'd have thought that they, above all people, would have insisted on helmet protection but they don't seem to deem it necessary.

Since modern bicycle helmets are designed more with fashion and comfort in mind rather than function, the question of actual safety is moot. At best, they can protect you from a fairly straight crack on the noggin at low speed.

Do I wear a helmet? Sometimes, but not always. Night time in town - I do. Summer days, riding down the coast roads - I like the wind through what's left of my hair.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If they're trying to reproduce the effect of dropping a melon from head height, why not just drop a melon from head height, instead of farting about with the hammer?
I've seen a fair few people fall off without helmets. Not a single one of them was seriously injured...

crazyjoe101

It's a good thing bicycle helmets are used as protection against sledgehammer wielding lunatics, and not actual collisions which might occur whilst riding a bicycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom