Lyon to Beziers (solo)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I'll be flying into Lyon on the 29th July. Aiming to get to the outskirts of Beziers on the Thursday 4th to kick back with some friends. Not sure if that coincides with your trip?
I'm in residence from 20 July till 54 Sept ( :smile: ) - if you're coming down the Col de Rousset, give me a shout!

OP
OP
dingdongdead

dingdongdead

My journals may help. I just did Montpellier to UK via Beziers. https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=tS&doc_id=17453&v=Cz Dull coast all the way from Marseille to Pyrenees. This one may also help https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=tS&doc_id=4924&v=84

Thanks Jay! I did the coast last year from Beziers to Nice and yeah, some of it is super dull towards the end, hence wanting to come inland and go up a few hills. Will check out the blog for sure though, thank you!

rualexander

Legendary Member
Last September we went from Lyon down to Mt Ventoux via the Vercors and the Diois, then back up to Lyon mostly on the Via Rhona cycle route up the Rhone valley.
Great route, and the Vercors and Diois are lovely cycling country.
We never planned to do Mt Ventoux but when we saw how near we were to it we thought we'd give it a go. We went up from Sault so not as much climbing as the other routes, but a good climb and well worth it, the descent to Malaucene was superb.
Photos here https://www.flickr.com/photos/rualexander/albums/72157659525562720

bigjim

Legendary Member
Bigjim - anywhere along the Rhone worth going to / avoiding? Anything stunning that I can't miss?
Sorry. I'm a pretty crap sightseer. I tend to just enjoy riding the bike, maybe stopping a while in little villages for coffee to people watch and then on my way. I tend to avoid cities and tourist spots. I think I may be a bore. Nimes was nice though when we bagged a room for little money that overlooked the colliseum.

OP
OP
dingdongdead

dingdongdead

Sorry. I'm a pretty crap sightseer. I tend to just enjoy riding the bike, maybe stopping a while in little villages for coffee to people watch and then on my way. I tend to avoid cities and tourist spots. I think I may be a bore. Nimes was nice though when we bagged a room for little money that overlooked the colliseum.

I didn't necessarily mean tourist stops or cities - I'm not in it for that. Just points of interest, nice camp sites, a town to grab a beer, that sorta thing.

On another note, what's the best way to plan the route? I've been using google and peoples blogs and GPS routes that are online. But is there another magical tool where I can put Lyon > Rousset > Gorges de l'Herault > Beziers and it picks an awesome route?

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
On another note, what's the best way to plan the route? I've been using google and peoples blogs and GPS routes that are online. But is there another magical tool where I can put Lyon > Rousset > Gorges de l'Herault > Beziers and it picks an awesome route?
For me part of the fun is poring over the maps (I use RidewithGPS) and trying to judge what will be a nice route, adjusting if you see some stupidly lumpy stuff that you'd rather avoid etc. Obviously avoid N roads - D roads (département) roads can be fine (the odd one not so nice), C (commune) always quiet. There is a 'cycle preference' button on RidewithGPS, though it'll sometimes take you off proper roads, so I tend not to use it.

Top Bottom