Mad woman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
ketka82uk said:
In my experience the vast majority know full well you are coming; they just don't seem to care! It's as if they think the bike will either a) stop on a sixpence or ;) won't hurt if it hits them!

or c) don't realise how fast a bicycle can go

iwf

It was an event like this that cost me a broken hip back in Feb. Missed the ped who didn't hang around. Still limping but back on the commute. Next time i promise it'll be the ped that comes off worse.

Good point about cycling at the speed appropriate to stuff going on around.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
The above post makes me really angry - I hear loads of complaints about cyclists not having insurance and being able to get away if they cause any damage to people's cars but pedestrians can really really hurt a cyclist by stepping out in front of them and they don't have to answer for it to anybody do they?

I bet a broken hip involved time off work etc and would have been at the very least more than a bit painful!

You have my sympathies!

Bristol Dave

Saw something the other day that I thought was a good idea but didn't fit my macho image (this is in my head btw). A guy had a couple of this little metal "jingle" bells that you see on stuff for kids and Morris Dancers attached to his bars by a loose rubber band. They jingled as he rode along and loads of people looked in his direction. A cheap and cheerful solution IMO.

BD

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I suppose also you could cycle around actually dressed as a morris dancer too - that way you would get loads of attention!

God forbid that pedestrians actually look into the road they are crossing before they do so!!! :smile:

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
There's a good reason for that - it might provoke plays of Leo Sayer's "I'm a one man band".

Oh go on then - just for you.....

Oh oh (puts hand up) - what about we cycle along with a big pair of cymbols! We could smash them together just as the ped stepped out - if they still stepped out we could smash them together again but with their head between them - that might work?!

Top Bottom