Maintenance courses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rickh01

Über Member
Does anyone know of any evening classes that show you how to service and repair road bikes in the Manchester area???

Dan77

Big John

Guru
Apologies but don't know Manchester very well other than my lad living there. However, if you're prepared to jump on a train and not travel too far then I know of one place in Bourneville (near Brum) called the Bike Foundry. Their courses are usually cheap and practical. I did a wheel building course there some years ago for about £50. Failing that Cytech do a home bike mechanic course but they're not cheap at around £300. A much cheaper option is to find a bike charity near you (Google may help) and offer to be a volunteer, like I did here in Stafford. They teach you an awful lot, you have a qualified mechanic guiding you and you get to know all the tools and tricks of the trade. Then, of course, there's YouTube 👍

Good morning,

I have a vision of someone buying an old clunker and learning to adjust a quill stem after bashing the expander bolt with a hammer to loosen it........ ..........Then getting a bike with a carbon fork/steerer, saying "Oh look a bolt on the 'stem', I need to hit that quite hard with a hammer".

This might be a case of a little bit of knowledge being a dangerous thing, :smile:

Bye

Ian

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Does anyone know of any evening classes that show you how to service and repair road bikes in the Manchester area???

TFGM run them with Ceracycloan in Stockport, possible with other organisations elsewhere.

I was booked on but had it cancelled because of covid and they have not got dates to restart yet.

They do a few levels.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Birdy's Bike shed do one to ones - Phil is a great lad and I've been riding with him loads. He does this all Covid safe.

Worth dropping him a line

https://www.facebook.com/birdysbikeshed/

Top Bottom