Mallorca resident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

I was in Mallorca a few weeks ago and was surprised how many serious cyclists were on the road there every day. On the Saturday morning we were there, I passed a large peloton (maybe 20 bikes) heading east out of Campos for a club run. How they can cycle any distance in that heat is beyond me :evil:

LLB

zimzum42 said:
mallorca's not that bad Linf, you want to try riding where it's hot and humid, like out here!!!!

It was showing 39c on the dial outside the hotel in the morning when we left. Not Malaysia I know, but I blistered the sole of my foot on some wooden decking when I walked across it on the beach. I'm not the greatest lover of really hot climates.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I was in Mallorca a few weeks ago and was surprised how many serious cyclists were on the road there every day
Your lack of cycling knowledge never fails to amaze. You go to the No1 cycling destination in Europe and say: "Wow, look at the cyclists!"

zimzum42

Legendary Member
linfordlunchbox said:
It was showing 39c on the dial outside the hotel in the morning when we left. Not Malaysia I know, but I blistered the sole of my foot on some wooden decking when I walked across it on the beach. I'm not the greatest lover of really hot climates.
I love it!!!!

If you can't take the heat, go to Wigan!

(Though some days i could kill for a sharp, cold UK wind!)

LLB

Tim Bennet. said:
Your lack of cycling knowledge never fails to amaze. You go to the No1 cycling destination in Europe and say: "Wow, look at the cyclists!"

And I haven't been following the Olympics either, or the MotoGP, or the football - shoot me :evil:

yenrod

Tim Bennet. said:

Tour of Mallorca ??????????????

zimzum42 said:
I love it!!!!

If you can't take the heat, go to Wigan!

(Though some days i could kill for a sharp, cold UK wind!)

Ive rode through Wigan n 30'c !!!! :becool:

Great training area.

Pennines to the East; undulating to the West; flat to the South. :evil:

linfordlunchbox said:
And I haven't been following the Olympics either, or the MotoGP, or the football - shoot me :tongue:

Neither have i - juh wanna make a pact Linf' with our assasinators :becool:

Mortiroloboy

Wow, that's some serious headtube! I have just returned (well last week) from a lovely sunny break at Cala Vinas staying in an apartment that belongs to the M-i-L's firm, great place, wandered into Magaluf and had a lookaround one of the cycle hire shops, some basic Orbeas to rent, but as it was same sort of temps as LLLB experienced, although I didn't scorch soles of my feet, I would not want to cycle too far in 39o heat, maybe in March/april when the clubs/pros go out to train it would be easier.

Going back next year to Porta Nova to another company owned apartment. next time M-i-L won't fall foul of the nasty thieving scummy twat pick pocket who lifted her purse whilst she browsed in the shops, still he wasn't bargaining on me shoving his arm up his back! I saw the distraction but sadly missed the transition to his mate who had legged it. The Guardia Came out , but were slightly less than useless. We then had a pantomime during which the Guardia told me that the people were on holiday too and knew nothing of the matter.

I expect it is an all too often occurence, and another theft is just grist to the mill.

Still she won't let it happen again.

yenrod

User259iroloboy said:
Wow, that's some serious headtube! I have just returned (well last week) from a lovely sunny break at Cala Vinas staying in an apartment that belongs to the M-i-L's firm, great place, wandered into Magaluf and had a lookaround one of the cycle hire shops, some basic Orbeas to rent, but as it was same sort of temps as LLLB experienced, although I didn't scorch soles of my feet, I would not want to cycle too far in 39o heat, maybe in March/april when the clubs/pros go out to train it would be easier.

Going back next year to Porta Nova to another company owned apartment. next time M-i-L won't fall foul of the nasty thieving scummy twat pick pocket who lifted her purse whilst she browsed in the shops, still he wasn't bargaining on me shoving his arm up his back! I saw the distraction but sadly missed the transition to his mate who had legged it. The Guardia Came out , but were slightly less than useless. We then had a pantomime during which the Guardia told me that the people were on holiday too and knew nothing of the matter.

I expect it is an all too often occurence, and another theft is just grist to the mill.

Still she won't let it happen again.

I bet when you reached for your wallet you breathed a sigh of relief ;)

----------------

I was in Venice once and in St Marks Square one of our group got pick pocketed...

I reached with trepedation into my pocket to see if I still had mine...not the best of feelings.

Still, we all chipped in for our group member to get by whilst they sorted themselves out !

ghitchen

I was there for two weeks with the family a week ago and hired a bike for a week. It was hot (30-34C) but I set off between 7 and 8am (when it was cooler) and was back around midday (when it wasn't!). As long as I was moving I didn't find the heat too bad, but the biggest problem was making sure I didn't run out of water miles from the nearest shop.

I could see why it is so popular, good roads, little traffic (and what there was was very bike-aware), nice and dry and some serious hills.

I hired from www.procyclehire.com who were very good.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I feel so sorry for all of you who suffered in the high temperatures in Majorca. We were there in May and the rain was of biblical proportions. Even the occasional sunny breaks were accompanied by the sort of wind that's characterised the entire year so far in NW England!

Still, the place IS a cyclist's paradise so we will be returning.

Mortiroloboy

yenrod said:
I bet when you reached for your wallet you breathed a sigh of relief :becool:

----------------

I was in Venice once and in St Marks Square one of our group got pick pocketed...

I reached with trepedation into my pocket to see if I still had mine...not the best of feelings.

Still, we all chipped in for our group member to get by whilst they sorted themselves out !

I didn't have my wallet with me, actually the worst thing you can do is check to see if your wallet is still where it should be, from professional experience, these gangs operate in a very organised way, they have spotters, lifters and swifters, once someone gets done the natural reaction is for others in the group to check that their purse/wallet is still in pocket purse, this alerts the spotters to exactly where your purse wallet is.

In our case we were probably followed from the restauarant we had just eaten in, we were only ywo days into our stay, were obviously still 'white' therefore possibly 'green' .

I was annoyed with myself, having seen the distraction where the MIL was bumped into I missed the transition, I saw her handbag had been unzipped, upon checking her purse was missing, saw the lad who had bumped her stood in the open fronted shop where she had been, he was looking at ladies jewellery, which was odd, I looked to the till where the assistant nodded to me, indicating that she knew/seen what had happened.

I approached the lad, spoke to him, another male with him walked away I grabbed the lad I had seen do the bump hoping the purse was still on him, I put him in an approved arm restraint which he didn't expect or appreciate, making silly noises, I searched him, the shop owner called the Guardia at my request.

Within minutes two women and the other lad turned up at the shop protesting loudly, but not too loudly (funny how shite always looks the same wherever you are)

The Guardia Civil rocked up soon after, and I had to try and explain what had happened, annoyingly the shop lady who had nodded indicating to me that she had seen the theft take place, wasn't playing the game with the Guardia and wasn't going to get involved now.

The Guardia bloke spoke to the women who 'apparently' were on 'holiday' too, he didn't do any checks, he didn't use his radio to pass their details to a control room to check them against the Spanish equivilent of the PNC, all he wanted was my name and passport number and where I was staying, he didn't give me a crime reference number.

Then things took a turn and it looked like I was going to end up getting swifted and spending the night in some dodgy Mallorcan police cell, Guardia bloke told me If I apologised to the Thief and the women they wouldn't make a complaint.

What do you do? I chose my words carefully which were no doubt helped by the fact it was being translated, I didn't apologise to them, but I made it appear that I had, as I didn't want to be locked up.

I was angry as I knew what I had seen, but Guardia bloke wasn't interested, he wanted a quiet life no doubt, and the fact that my apparent apology settled matters just confirmed that the thieving scummy tw@ts didn't really want to make too much fuss either, but as I said before Shite looks the same wherever you are, and they were thieving shite, and no mistake.

Top Bottom