Manchester - London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PGR1992

I have volunteered to do a charity ride from Manchester to London on the May bank holiday weekend. The route is approx 200 miles and we will be stopping off overnight.

My current bike is a Charge Plug single speed/fixie. I'm looking for advice as to wether this ride is feasible on this bike or if I'm going to need a geared version?

Thanks

ror3h

How hilly is the route? I rode Manchester to Portsmouth in the summer on a single speed and it was fine. As long as you aren't trying to go as fast as possible while riding across the pennines you'll be fine.

OP
OP
P

PGR1992

I actually live in Warrington and we plan to go down through Cheshire which is pretty flat and will miss the Pennines out. Best get to training then

400bhp

Guru
Perfectly feasible

I actually sorted a route from London to Manc that I was going to do last year, but never got round to it.

Pretty flat (8,000ft over 200 miles) and that is avoiding A roads to. An A road route would, at a guess, knock 2,000ft off that.

martint235

Dog on a bike
As people have said if you stay west of the Peak District you'll be ok. I'd head south until you hit the A5 then follow that into London. It's an ok road to cycle on. I did the stretch London - Nuneaton without any issues a couple of years ago as part of a London - East Lancashire ride and it's flat. You may need to put in a couple of detours (only about a mile each) as you hit Milton Keynes.

Top Bottom