Manchester to blackpool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clid61

Veteran
Left very early to avoid the dickheads, gladly missed them rolled in at 1030ish , then twed a nice chap home who i let wheel suck me till wigan

Twinks

Über Member
I left just before 8 and at times through the ride it was a bit congested but had no problems with anybody. Really enjoyed it. The headwind had got quite strong by the time I reached Blackpool around 12. Good atmosphere at the finish.

iggibizzle

A bit chaotic at times! We left Manc at 8.50. Some of the cycling I saw made me wince. And the amount of gel packets in the road was a disgrace. Even in Manc. Who needs a gel that early on?! If at all. Had a spoke snap coming down that decent hill near Wigan. Sent my wheel so Pringled that it took me ages to get it back into a shape that wasn't hitting the frame. Free spoke replacement at the charnock Richard pit stop though by the mechanics. Great work! :smile: surprises by the amount of a roads and dual carriage way. Doesn't bother me but some youngsters must have been cacking it!

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
And the amount of gel packets in the road was a disgrace. Even in Manc. Who needs a gel that early on?!

Ive done this ride now for the last five years and this year i was also surprised by the huge numbers of Gels wrappers on the floor, i also agree the amount of main roads is a bit to much, and unless a miracle happens and they change the route for next year i think i will give it a miss for a few years.

Onthedrops

Veteran
First time I've done it.
Left Manchester at 08.30 with some proper nut jobs! TBH it was pretty bloody hairy initially what with guys on MTBs, no helmets and a bottle of diet coke in the bottle cage! Weaving al over the road, ignoring traffic lights and even failing to give way at junctions.

As previously said, quite a lot of main road work which was quite busy at times.

Lots of discarded gel wrappers at the roadside, spotted in Manchester too. (What's that all about???)

The headwind near the coast made it hard going toward the end but what a feeling when you cross the finish line!

U

User33236

I did it for the first time last year. Hated the ride up due to the huge number of idiots completely disregarding the rules of the road and being simply dangerous. Loved the ride back with a small group from the East Lancs RC.

Didn't bother this year. From the tales of some mates that did it I'm glad.

Last edited by a moderator:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I gave up on it a few years ago because of the same nobbers and nodders. It got to the point I found it dangerous to be on the same road with a number of them.

Twinks

Über Member
Wow seems I was lucky, maybe because I was a bit earlier, but I really didn't have a problem at all and I am still nervous of riding in groups. I did see a few guys further into the ride at the side of the road taking a snack and chucking their litter into the verge. They then came tearing past at some speed.....looked like a club, all wearing same stuff......but that's all.

Top Bottom