Manchester to Brecon next week.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grimpeur

Veteran
I am planning on riding from Sale in Greater Manchester to Brecon,Powys next Wednesday or Thursday, weather and willpower permitting. Hoping to complete the journey in around 8 hours.

My route will take me through Middlewich,Nantwich,Whitchurch,Shrewsbury, Church Stretton, Craven Arms then along various B roads then the A4110, A4112 and A438 via Hay-on-Wye.
I am planning on trying to make good time but I would appreciate any tips about bike-friendly cafes and bike shops that I will pass on my journey particularly on the last half of the journey as I don't know this area that well. I have a feeling that once I turn off the A49 at Craven Arms all civilisation will cease to exist until I reach Hay-on-Wye as I can't see ANY towns of any size on this stretch of the journey. Can anyone suggest a nice place to stop between these two points?
Thanks

cavcannotclimb

Have you thought of going via sustrans route 81 via Llanidloes, Rhayader, Builth Wells? There are some decent main roads too and plenty of accommodation.

cavcannotclimb

Just spotted an interesting post that might give you some ideas-Wales North to South part 4 going to Brecon through Bishop's Castle and Knighton. He has some good pics of the ride.

Top Bottom