Manchester to London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AnneW

Über Member
We're thinking of cycling from Manchester to London - does anyone know a good route?

We thought about following the canals all the way there, as they start near our door in the city centre.

We'd be making a holiday of it, cycling around 40 - 50 miles a day.

Any suggestions?

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I do have a big map somewhere of all the different routes, I'll need to look it out in the morning and find out for you.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/canals-and-rivers/grand-union-canal

Then the New Mainline Canal, the Old Mainine Canal, the Staffordshire & Worcestershire, etc etc.

Either that or the Thame Valley Canal via theBirmingham and Fazely Canal, and so on. You can see details of each of the canals on the site.

OP
OP
AnneW

AnneW

Über Member
It's really useful, saves me going from google maps to looking for individual cycle routes, and back again. They're all there together. Specially helpful as my geography is rubbish, lol.

I think a combination of cycle routes and canals is looking favourite as some canal paths are not the best for cycling on.

We cycled London to Paris last year, and ever since my other half has thought it would be good to cycle from home to London. these will help me start planning next year's trip.

They give me plenty to work on. Thank you :smile:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Manchester to London - For some odd reason you were heading north! :blush:

*Note to self, read the thread more carefully!*

Anyway yes, I'm tempted to try and explore places now too. I have seen the canals from the train between Wolverhampton and Birmingham (possibly one of the Mainline Canals) before and wondered what they were like to ride beside.

Good luck!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
That's OK, I just have turned your route around :smile:

(There has to be a joke in there about women reading maps upside down :smile:)

Possibly, although it was my mistake.... so, anyway, continuing upside down ;), after the Staffordshire And worcestershire, then The Trent And Mersey, then The Macclesfield Canal, and then The Peak Forest, etc etc.

Top Bottom