Map oddities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
On Open Street Map in the quarries near Dolbadarn Castle in Eryri/ Snowdonia, there's Australia, California, Tasmania, Wellington, Serengeti and Mordor!! Not to mention The Lost World.
Sorry don't know how to screenshot.

Alex321

Veteran
On Open Street Map in the quarries near Dolbadarn Castle in Eryri/ Snowdonia, there's Australia, California, Tasmania, Wellington, Serengeti and Mordor!! Not to mention The Lost World.
Sorry don't know how to screenshot.

Here you go
1700734922975.png

Probably started out as a farm named to celebrate the Battle of Oudenarde.

That sort-of fits with this WIki text:
"
Bridge of Earn, and the formerly neighbouring but now conjoined village of Kintillo, have expanded out of all recognition since the 1960s, with hundreds of new homes being built. An entire new settlement called Oudenarde—named for the Flemish town of Oudenaarde—is currently being built on the site of the large former hospital (NO 142 181) to the east of the old village.
"
... although the author clearly didn't know that the name existed in the area since before the 1900 map posted by @Flick of the Elbow

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Not as such. There’s quite a few local references to Egypt (gypsies) and I know of Californias in Falkirk and I think Birmingham.

Correct regarding Birmingham. Its close to Weoley Castle (not a Castle, just a manor house) and Barnes Hill.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Going on map oddities rather than strange (or smutty) place names, which is more than adequately covered in other threads:

If you use Google Maps, and you zoom in on Clitheroe in Lancashire, you will see what appears to be a legend for a village called "Great Britain", although I have seen another post that puts it to the West of Halifax. As you zoom out, it remains there until almost all of the UK fits on your screen, and then disappears, at a point that Manchester, Birmingham and London are still notated. As is the legend for the political entity known as the United Kingdom.

Why? Not sure, although it appears to be there as this is the geographical center of Great Britain.

Zimbob

Über Member
A topical one from my area :

Screenshot_20231206_195157.jpg

There are two possible explanations, apparently it's either because it was mainly sand dunes, so like a desert, or because a minister referred to locals as 'men of Gaza' because of their infrequent church attendance...

Top Bottom