Maps, books and other touring Crimbo pressies?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Hi HobbesOnTour,

New member (retyred.life) - and really only interested in lurking not contributing, so can't send messages. I've read of your adventures with keen interest.

I plan to arrive in Tijuana, Mexico on March 14th and repeat the Baja Divide route I last rode in 2017. Apart from my first night, I won't be staying in cities and aim to wildcamp throughout Baja California before crossing to 'the mainland' from La Paz to Topolobampo, Sinaloa.

Having previously ridden through Mexico to Central America I understand the usual risks but are you experiencing any major / unexpected issues at the moment?

Your advice, either through PM via this forum, or to retyred.life(AT)gmail.com will be much appreciated.
I'll reply here for the benefit of any lurkers^_^

You have to understand that I'm in México city and haven't moved since June. I have no specific information for Baja.

I'm sure you know Tijuana is one of the most dangerous places and Covid has not helped.

I haven't done the Baja peninsula, but there is anecdotal evidence that it has become more "dangerous" for crime in recent years. I'm sure you know of BikePacking.com? There is an active user there who, I believe, organises tours. He will have more accurate info.
Facebook groups also. But there's so damn many of them!^_^
Your best info will be from people on the road.

The Covid response here is organised on a state level - different states are doing different things. I have heard of roadblocks set up to catch and fine travellers in places they should not be - but that is for people in vehicles. I've had nothing but goodwill from the Police when on the bike. But that was pre-Covid.

I have heard that criminal elements are taking good advantage of the Pandemic to extend their influence and territory.

In fact, that was expressly a point made to me by my own embassy back in March - desperate people can and will do desperate things.
My own view is that with less tourists the risk against a solo cyclist rises.
There's pretty much one road in most of Baja. A lone cyclist can be a tempting and easy target. But you're going off-road, right?

The thing with México (as I'm sure you know) is that there are horror stories and there is the normal day to day, incredibly hospitable society. It can be very hard to reconcile the two.

I'll wish you the best of luck, ask you to reciprocate if you come across any pertinent info and safe travels!

Top Bottom