Marathon Plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2Jags

My first time out on marathon plus tyres this morning. I had a nasty fall when my bike slid from under me while turning through a mini roundabout. This is part of my commute and is the first incident of any kind that I have had on this route.

I think I have read somewhere that M+ offer less grip than many tyres. Has anyone else experienced problems with this tyre?

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Not personally, I've found them to be pretty grippy TBH.
Could it just have been a patch of diesel you hit?

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Had no grip problems with mine, and as it's a trike they have been subjected to some pretty severe cornering :-)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
They grip fine. They even roll fine if you look up the resistance tables. It just doesn't "feel" like it to me.

Hope you get better soon. If you don't like the tyres then fair enough, not to everybody's liking.

Perhaps just new - Ive noticed in the past when Ive fitted a new set of tyres that I feel not quite certain of them for a short period - M+ I did 10000k this summer and no problems

iendicott

2Jags as with any new tyres that I've had they coat the tyre with a releasing agent simular to fairy liquid so it can be released from the mold they use when the tyre is built, this makes the tyre a bit slippy for the first few miles.

I had a similar experience on a motorbike a few years back where I road off and forgot it was a new tyre on the back and the bike snaked up the road.

I have Marathon Plus tyres and never had any issues to be honest. One thing I did notice is that they do have a slightly higher rolling resistance to the bog standard tyres I did have on the bike but you have to pay the price for being Puncher Proof.

OP
OP
2Jags

2Jags

That could be the answer.

It seems strange that the bike should go to ground less than a mile from home following a tyre change.

Norm

2Jags said:
That could be the answer.

It seems strange that the bike should go to ground less than a mile from home following a tyre change.
Whenever I have had a tyre changed on a bike, and a couple of times on a car, I have been warned to be extremely careful for the first 10 miles and be very wary for at least the first 100 miles, because of the release agents.

I've never heard the same warnings for bike tyres but I can imagine they would need the same sort of care.

Top Bottom