Marginal gains and drop handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

Just watching the 2015 Tour de France end noticing the riders spend most of the time not on the drop handlebars but...with Sky’s famous ‘marginal gains’ shouldn’t they be as aero as the can be for the whole day so that the energy expended is the minimum possible?!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nope - as you'll get very sore and lose efficiency. You need to be able to move hand positions, and being able to adjust the body saves pain - yes you might use the drops on a lone break, but not really needed in a bunch, so adds a little comfort.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Nope - as you'll get very sore and lose efficiency. You need to be able to move hand positions, and being able to adjust the body saves pain - yes you might use the drops on a lone break, but not really needed in a bunch, so adds a little comfort.
Okay - ta

si_c

Guru
Also modern bike geometry has changed since the 90s and now the hoods are at a similar height relative to the saddle than the drops of an older bike so you don't need to get into them as often for aerodynamic purposes. Also don't forget that in stage races the riders are doing more than 100miles per day so comfort is not an inconsiderable concern.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Also modern bike geometry has changed since the 90s and now the hoods are at a similar height relative to the saddle than the drops of an older bike so you don't need to get into them as often for aerodynamic purposes. Also don't forget that in stage races the riders are doing more than 100miles per day so comfort is not an inconsiderable concern.
I believe that is one reason 28mm tyres started to be used?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
+ disc brakes opened up frames for wider tyres again..

I'm not a pro (obviously) but have been riding on 28s for a few years now, there's absolutely no benefit to 25s or 23s, and no tangible downside to 28s

Good evening,

...... there's absolutely no benefit to 25s or 23s, and no tangible downside to 28s

I would love to agree with you, but...... :-)

The wheel below is off my regular use bike, it has a Sora hub and as you can probably see the spokes are plentiful and thick but the rim is 622x12.

The recommend maximum tyre for this width rim is 23mm, I am running 25mm and there is noticeable "squishiness" in some turns, worryingly so.

When I bought them I never even thought about tyre size, they are 36 spokes on Sora hubs, obviously they are not for extreme racers!

So it seems that 28mm would mean new wheels, but there is a plus side, I have tried another wheel with a 28 and I can't fit it, it hit the brakes.

So new wheels and new frame needed, that seems to be a downside. :-)

Bye

Ian

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Good evening,

I would love to agree with you, but...... :-)

The wheel below is off my regular use bike, it has a Sora hub and as you can probably see the spokes are plentiful and thick but the rim is 622x12.

The recommend maximum tyre for this width rim is 23mm, I am running 25mm and there is noticeable "squishiness" in some turns, worryingly so.

When I bought them I never even thought about tyre size, they are 36 spokes on Sora hubs, obviously they are not for extreme racers!

So it seems that 28mm would mean new wheels, but there is a plus side, I have tried another wheel with a 28 and I can't fit it, it hit the brakes.

So new wheels and new frame needed, that seems to be a downside. :-)

Bye

Ian View attachment 536158
Thanks for taking the post totally out of context.

Bye.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

+ disc brakes opened up frames for wider tyres again..

I'm not a pro (obviously) but have been riding on 28s for a few years now, there's absolutely no benefit to 25s or 23s, and no tangible downside to 28s
My understanding is there was a downside to thinner tyres in sheer shocks to the body and therefore fatigue and with no ‘resistance’ increase the 28s were better overall for the pros.

Top Bottom