Marriage's Strong Wholemeal bread flour anyone.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
1. A friend gifted me a large bag of it. She swears by it. I have never even heard of it.
Not ready to use it yet as I already have 3 other bags open......I should be using it next week.
Just wondering if anyone else uses it ?

2. She also gave me a LARGE bag of Coconut Suger which she also swears by.
Problem is I only use sugar in bread......nothing else.
Anyone near Warrington want to share it feel free ^_^

Johnsop99

Veteran
Sugar in bread?? the only four ingredients in bread are flour, yeast, salt and water.

Alex321

Veteran
Sugar in bread?? the only four ingredients in bread are flour, yeast, salt and water.
You need sugar for the yeast to feed on.

And many (probably most) bread recipes also need milk (usually dried milk).

Ok, looking it up, it is certainly possible to make bread without adding sugar, it just takes a fair bit longer to rise.

Last edited:

Johnsop99

Veteran

Ok, looking it up, it is certainly possible to make bread without adding sugar, it just takes a fair bit longer to rise.
I use Richard Bertinet's method. Went to one of his baking demonstrations at a food festival some 12 odd years ago and been using it ever since:

Richard’s basic bread recipe:
500g Strong white flour
10g Sea salt
10g Fresh yeast
350g Water (at body temperature).
I usually bake a wholemeal type loaf using strong white bread flour and strong wholemeal bread flour 50/50.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

You missed out the most important one ... time!

Adding sugar is unnecessary. I rarely use it in my breads and notice no difference in rise times. There's plenty in flour for the yeast to feed on.
Same goes for milk, it has its uses but isn't required.

1. A friend gifted me a large bag of it. She swears by it. I have never even heard of it.
Not ready to use it yet as I already have 3 other bags open......I should be using it next week.
EXCELLENT flour.
If you're not going to be using it for a while, stick it in the freezer. Freezing flour - especially wholemeal and other 'speciality' flours - massively delays the oils in the wheatgerm/seeds etc going 'off'.

presta

Guru
Marriage's flour mill is in Chelmsford, a few yards from where I used to work.

Anyone near Warrington want to share it feel free ^_^
I use their strong white in my blends. Best white flour I’ve used for rise and consistency

Top Bottom