Mastic where wall meets shower tray. How often to replace/repair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I imagine your bike is spotless!

No. Because my wife doesn’t inspect my bikes but does inspect the bloody shower tray. 😀

presta

Guru
The corner of an old credit card gives a reasonable bead, if you don't have the proper tool
That's what the sealant gun nozzle is for. Cut it off at the required length to get the fillet radius you need.
The problem with Sealing baths/shower trays

As long as there isn't movement from the Tray/bath this then breaks the seal eventually.
1. Use a flexible sealant, ie: silicone.
2. Make sure the bath/shower can't move.

When I installed my bath, the first thing I did was not use the hardware provided, there was nothing to stop the bath flexing when you shift around in it. The rim of my bath rests on heavy duty aluminium angle supports all round the periphery, these are not fixed using rawlplug type fixings, but large hardwood plugs hammered into the wall. It hasn't shifted or leaked in over 40 years, and with no maintenance.

OP
OP
Chap sur le velo

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Bug thanks to all who contributed. Finally got off my derailieur (sic😁) and have redone the job.

The sealant remover was new to me and it definitely helped get the sticky bits off. Allowing 48hrs to dry means likely middle of next week before I find it leaks!

Top Bottom