Maths quiz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

that's not maths, that's just "what am i thinking of".

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Mr Pig said:
I got zero! :0)

I still don't get the one about the bike price .

P=price of bike
(Therefore)
P = 1000 + (P/2)
(Now take P/2 from both side of the equation)
P - (P/2) = 1000 + (P/2) - (P/2)
(Which simplifies to)
(P/2) = 1000
(and therefore)
P = 2x1000
(or)
P = £2000

Melvil

cisamcgu said:
P=price of bike
(Therefore)
P = 1000 + (P/2)
(Now take P/2 from both side of the equation)
P - (P/2) = 1000 + (P/2) - (P/2)
(Which simplifies to)
(P/2) = 1000
(and therefore)
P = 2x1000
(or)
P = £2000

Nope...still don't get it :ohmy:B)

abchandler

Try the other options and prove they can't be right
1500: 1000 + 750 = 1750 which is not 1500
1750: 1000 + 875 = 1875 which is not 1750
2000: 1000 + 1000 = 2000, so this is the one

Or, forget it is maths. The statement would also be true if he said the price of the bike is half its price + half its price. As he says the price of the bike is 1000 + half its price, simply substitute the the 1000 for 'half its price' and you get 2000

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
5 out of 5, obviously. Elementary mental arithmetic, all of it apart from the cube - and that's general knowledge.

PrettyboyTim

Oh, at last I get the cube one. When they said that you need to cut it in half between your thumb and forefinger I thought they meant that the cut should go from your thumb to your forefinger, rather than a cut that forms a plane midway between your thumb and forefinger with its a normal parallel to the line between your thumb and forefinger.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
PrettyboyTim said:
Oh, at last I get the cube one. When they said that you need to cut it in half between your thumb and forefinger I thought they meant that the cut should go from your thumb to your forefinger, rather than a cut that forms a plane midway between your thumb and forefinger with its a normal parallel to the line between your thumb and forefinger.

In some senses I think the question is poorly worded. Having some similarity in interests I guessed what he was referring to. Strictly speaking orientation does matter as he didn't mention the things you wrote. The triangle that can also come out is only when 3 of the corners meet up, so you get a hexagon most of the time around the middle "band". The other thing was orientation not specific you can get a square doing it the "other" way.

Scratch

Über Member
I got the cube one wrong as well. I assumed the 'cut' would go though the 4 sides forming a rectangle. How the cube is rotated changes the answer. I should have guessed when rectangle wasn't available as an option.

Would never have got the last question, my brain doesn't work in anything other than base 10.

Top Bottom