Mavic Ksyrium SL 09 Clincher

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jbond007

Hi

I am considering buying a set of Mavic Ksyrium SL 09 Clincher wheels and have been looking at as many opinions as I can on this product.

Just wondering if any of you guys have any experience or thoughts on the quality/performance/durability of these. I have managed to find a local bike shop who will sell them to me for around £630.

My bike is a Focus Cayo and I ride around 150 miles per month at present.

Any info would be appreciated.

Pottsy

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I can't help you much here (other than bump your thread back to the top :becool:) as I've not tried these wheels. However I've read reviews and seen comments before and I understand they're generally well thought of.

I believe the list price is £700 so your price sounds reasonable to me.

gavintc

Guru
I have an older version of the SLs. I think 2006, and have been very impressed by them. Lightweight and have remained true through some pretty rough riding - including the Tour of Flanders sportive which had over 20km of cobbles.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Welcome to the forum!! :laugh:

I have to say, and apologies if this sounds rather harsh, but that sounds like an awful lot of money to be spending on a pair of wheels for the sorts of mileage you are doing.

Of course, if you are planning on stepping up the mileage considerably, and/or entering triathlons/TTing etc. then I'd say they sound like a good bet as I've only read good things about them.

I do a few more miles than you each month for my commuting (about 200 - 250 I would think, depending on whether I take the short route to work or not) but I can't say I'd ever consider spending that much on some wheels when the bike itself was about 1.5 times their cost... but it's your choice at the end of the day.

Sorry if this isn't too helpful! :laugh:

Jbond007 said:
Thanks for you help on this, maybe I need to re-think slightly. Regards,

Have a look at the mid-price wheels circa £300 including the Ksyrium Elites or Campag Zonda's. They offer a good introduction to decent wheels and if you ever want to upgrade then they make a good pair of training/winter wheels.

AlanW

Guru
Ribble were selling the Premium version for less than £500 a pair a couple of weeks ago!

I would recommend these wheels 100%. I have two pairs, the original ES version and the std SL's, great wheels.

OP
OP
J

Jbond007

Thanks to all who have taken the time to reply. It's great to seek advice/guidance from other fellow cyclist, keep up the great work and I still welcome any other comments.

Cheers,
J.

Top Bottom