Mavic shoes - which cleat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scraynes

Über Member
Just looking at getting a pair of mavic avenir shoes.

I have spd pedals fitted to the bike at the moment.

The shoes will work with look pedals, but does any one know if they are compatible with spd?

Thanks for your help,

Spencer

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Its hard to see in online images but it looks like it has the 3 bolt system only.
This means it can only take the 3 bolt system cleat, such has spd-sl, looks and time.

There is a plate you can use to convert it to take the more common spd cleat but it is not advised as the clear will stick out and walking on that is quite dangerous.

You would be better off either getting a shoe which takes your pedal system or change your pedal system to match those shoes.

WychwoodTrev

Just looking at getting a pair of mavic avenir shoes.

I have spd pedals fitted to the bike at the moment.

The shoes will work with look pedals, but does any one know if they are compatible with spd?

Thanks for your help,

Spencer

I have the Mavic shoes and Mavic pedals and love them they are real comfy for me so if you like the look of them and they fit you well I would sujuest you get the Mavic pedals

Jonathing

Über Member
I have the Avantir shoes and they fit the three bolt cleat systems. eg. Look and Shimano SPD-SL but not the Shimano SPD two bolt, metal cleat type. If in doubt turn your current shoes over and look to see how many bolts are used to secure the cleats to the bottom of the shoe.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
scraynes

scraynes

Über Member
Thanks for that,

I might look into the converter plate idea - I'm pretty committed to SPD.

Maybe the answer is to get shimano shoes which are SPD and SPD SL compatible, that way I leave the door open to change the pedals at a later date.

Thanks again for the answers.

Spencer

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
If you are commuted to using spd then get a shoe which uses that cleat system. It would be a good idea to get one with a recessed cleat area so you can walk in them.

gds58

Über Member
If you look at these ones...

http://www.bikeradar...-shoes-09-34488

which is the link from a previous post then you will see that they DO have fittings for SPD cleats and if you click on the drop down on the right for the full spec' then it actually lists SPD as being compatible. You can see the slots in the middle of the sole for the SPD fittings. The newer ones clearly dont have the SPD fittings

Hope this helps, and BTW they look like very nice shoes for the money. Graham

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It does have the 3-bolt system so compatible with SPD. I'm on Ultegra pedals.

There is a difference between SPD and SPD-SL. SPD-SL is 3 bolt and SPD is 2 bolt

OP
OP
scraynes

scraynes

Über Member
This is complex. Think I've just found a different shoe. The shimano R087 which takes spd but is compatible with spd sl and look etc, so keeps the door open for a change of pedal type on the road bike.

Shame because the mavic gets good reviews and looks like good value, but if I factor In new pedals too it just gets too much money in one hit.

Thanks again for all the input.

Spencer

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I will highlight again that the cleat you are putting on it is metal and that is your main contact area. Walking is going to be very tricky and you will destroy the cleat.

Top Bottom