Max Heart Rate on commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Davywalnuts said:
Interestingly, my HRM and speedo, Polar CS200, loves a good bit of interferrance, be it a bus too or my mobile! Am now over the initial shocks of it saying my hearts pounding away at 240+bpm!

My ave commute is prob about 130bpm, anything longer cycling about 140bpm. Max i've done was about 180bpm. Going up Egham Hill it can get close to this.. I just prefer to fly down Priest Hill instead!

Am also noticing a corralation in my ave bpm being less in the morning that of the evening..

I'm obviously odd, as my HR is always higher in the mornings. Maybe we should start a poll (or the difference could be because I'm the fairer sex).

Greenbank

Über Member
Last week (commuted 4 days by bike):-

Mornings: 155, 161, 157, 150
Evenings: 163, 164, 156, 161

Average speeds are roughly similar (sometimes faster in the evenings, sometimes faster in the morning).

Morning commute one day:-
commute_in.jpg

Commute home that day:-

commute_home.jpg

(Data from Garmin Forerunner 405 GPS and HRM)

Note the slower initial rise up to 160bpm, I'm there within seconds on the way home, but it takes me 5 minutes (usually until crossing Putney Bridge) until I see it on the way in.

zacklaws

Guru
I'm 54 and I work out that my max HR is about 186, but a few months ago I could hit between 203 and 208 up some steep hills which now I can get up without going into the 190's even and usually about 186.

A little while ago though I had a ride wherby my HR would soar to 235 going up every hill. I blamed it on interference from the early warning radar at Fylingdales which was nearby. But later on in the ride I discovered it was caused by my ID card that I had tucked into the strap of my HR monitors elastic strap to my side to stop it flapping about with having my shirt open. Maybe it was causing a small echo which was getting detected by the monitor as my heart beat harder going up hills

Top Bottom