McQuaid's Reward ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rassendyll

I see Pat McQuaid has been elected to the IOC gravy train.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-elected-as-member-of-ioc

You would have to be a much more cynical person than myself to think it might be the quid pro quo for pushing through the changes to the track cycling and not making too much fuss or demanding extra events.

Luckily I too recognise his enormous talent and immensely skilful administration of the sport and have no doubt it is a fitting and just reward.

Keith Oates

Janner
I also consider the in general McQuaid has done and is doing a good job at the UCI. I don't always agree with what has happened but like most of us I don't know the full history of what is going on and the reasons some decisions are made. I think that having him as a member of the IOC means that at least cycling will have a good voice on the various committees he is involved with from time to time. However having said that I think that the IOC has gone overboard in trying to include every sport in the games and is trying to be the final word in all sports and personally I disagree with this situation.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Much as I like you Keith, I am always rather bemused that you can think that the UCI, and particularly McQuaid, has been doing a good job recently.

Keith Oates

Janner
Flying_Monkey said:
Much as I like you Keith, I am always rather bemused that you can think that the UCI, and particularly McQuaid, has been doing a good job recently.

FM, we all have different opinions on certain items but as I've said before (and you have noted) I think that he gets blamed unnecessarily on many decisions!!!!

OP
OP
R

Rassendyll

rich p said:
I think you may have missed Rassendyll's heavy irony, Keith;)

Phew, I was wondering if I could have been too subtle for a moment. :blush: ;) Note to self - use more smileys. :biggrin:

Whether McQuaid deserves individual blame may be debatable but he is the boss so he carries the can.

I think the UCI has dragged its heels on anti-doping - by comparison the French agency is far more aggressive.
At the same time it has tried to set itself up in conflict with the major promoters.
And when the IOC commanded them to eviscerate track cycling, the UCI boldly rolled over and asked for a tummy scratch.

If McQuaid doesn't deserve the blame then he doesn't deserve the years of jollies and allowable gifts that await him.

Top Bottom