'me cats been playing with string.....'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

http://212.58.226.75/1/hi/england/manchester/8433783.stm

A woman made an emergency 999 call to Greater Manchester Police (GMP) to say her cat was "doing her head in" because it was playing with string.

The force has released audio footage of the call to remind people that the 999 service should not be abused.

The woman said it was an emergency as it had "been going on for two hours".

Between Christmas Eve and Boxing Day, GMP said it received 1,377 999 calls, but only a fraction were genuine emergencies.

In another call a man contacted emergency services to say he was stuck on a patch of ice in a street in Bolton and was too scared to go forwards or backwards.

'Silly pranks'

GMP's head of call handling, Supt Karan Lee, said: "We are still expecting a high volume of 999 calls on New Year's Eve.

"Research tells us that a very high percentage of these will not actually be related to an emergency.

"I urge people to think first and only dial 999 in an emergency, where there is threat to life or property, so that we can focus on the real emergencies."

She added: "Silly pranks can have a major impact on members of the public who need the police.

"I don't want a person to call 999 and be delayed because someone else is calling to report something that is not an emergency or, worse still, a deliberate joke."

Last new year, GMP's call handlers dealt with more than 2,400 emergency calls in the six hours after midnight.

Arch

Married to Night Train
People should be fined for this kind of stupidity, or at the very least visted and given a good talking to....

Nephew Oli did apparently dial 999 by mistake once, my sister was mortified, when she realised and promised they'd get a less accessible phone, which they did. But that's not quite the same I think. Funnily, when she was 3 and I was a horribly sensible 8, I was always trying to stop her playing with the phone, in case she did the same - although it was harder in the days of dials. She bit me once for getting in her way....

Arch

Married to Night Train
Happiness Stan said:
If you listen to the tape the woman in question sounds drunk, mentally unhinged or both. Merry Xmas.

She does, I heard it on the radio. Mentally unhinged is one thing, but even if merely drunk, she needs to be brought up sharp a bit...

My thought is, what does she think cats do? I thought the whole point of having a cat was to let it play with bits of string.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Arch said:
My thought is, what does she think cats do? I thought the whole point of having a cat was to let it play with bits of string.
Cats are 90% of the reason for the existance of bits of string. If it wasn't for cats all the bits of string would end up in land fill.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Arch said:
She does, I heard it on the radio. Mentally unhinged is one thing, but even if merely drunk, she needs to be brought up sharp a bit...

I thought the reason cats exist is to wander round peoples garden shitting everywhere & shagging all the other cats ALL night whining (in an evil manner) and generally pissing you off so you cannot sleep which results in fantasies of blasting them with a shotgun ! :cheers:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Happiness Stan said:
Listen to the call.
Sorry, I'm with Stan on this one.

I think GMP could have chosen some really idiotic and selfish calls to publish, like people who have spent all their money on booze and then expect a lift home, etc etc, but this sounds like someone who really does need more help than she's getting.

Top Bottom