Measuring my height (above sea level)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Sure. It's a bit late tonight but I'll dig it out tomorrow if that's ok?

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I think I have solved the problem. Last weekend I went for a walk with someone who knows how to use their GPS thingy. So I got some idea of height climbed on the walk. We did one climb of 300 feet and several shorter climbs. I struggled on the climbing ;) and they did the sums.

I have a birthday later in the year, so might buy myself a watch with an altimeter in it. I think a cycle computer might be a bit big to fit in my pocket, but thanks for the offer.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Peter said:
GPS would be your best and most accurate bet, but they do tend to be expensive.

GPS is not very accurate at estimating altitude, you need an altimeter for that, although you can get GPS units with a built in altimeter...

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
longers said:
I find the OS Explorer range at 1:24,888 plus 222 excellent for navigating by. They're the ones in the orange jacket.

Please do your own maths for the scale :smile:.

24,888+222 = 25,110 !

Odd sort of scale :smile:

longers

Legendary Member
;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
I use a Casio altimeter watch. It's pretty accurate as long as you remember to set it at the correct altitude before starting off. Even if you don't you can still use it to record height gained and lost, it's quite a fun toy and it keeps the data from your last three trips out.

By the way, a good way to measure miles covered on an OS map is to count every single blue grid line you have crossed then halve the number. The further you go the more accurate this is.

Top Bottom