Medium distance cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

yello said:
and, if it were a cold day, I'd be having to stop for a pee every 20 minutes!

Experience has taught me to stay away from tea and coffee (other than espresso, i.e. short and strong) on rides but I do recognise it's therapeutic properties for some. Pays ya money, takes ya choice!

The wind, cold and rain does take it's toll on the strength though. An ordinarily pleasant ride can feel like hell if it's into a wind. Wise words jimbo.

Soup can be a refreshing change. I like carrot & coriander, with lots of pepper for cold day rides. :smile:

jimboalee

Morrisette said:
I reckon if you've never done over 20ish miles at once before you will be hungry on a 60 miler - my experience is the first time you do a new distance your body compensates for the 'unexpected' exercise by making you really starving - if you did it again the next week probably wouldn't have to eat so much (this is my observation, not based on any science or even facts, probably). If you take too much food you can always eat it later - if you haven't got enough then you could be in a bit of bother.

My first 60 mile ride (the London to Cambridge last year) I ate LOADS (for me):

Cheese and pickle rolls
Cola
Cereal bars
Nuts and dried fruit
3 bananas
Mars bar
and lots of water.

I hate porridge though so breakfast was toast and tea.

The body is a mysterious thing. A few experiences of HUNGER, and it changes to 'storing everything it eats'.
My 40 mile schoolboy outings - eating next to nothing - has ( in my perception ) made me an efficient fat store.

Published figures for dietery replacement seem to be well over what I need to eat. I don't think this is reversible.

OP
OP
J

jon.mithe

Thanks for the help, 2 litres of water and a few bananas + cereal bars sounds like a plan, cheap and cheerful (thats ususally what I take when mountain walking, trying to kick a caffeine habit atm so chocolates on hold for a while :tongue:)

Yeah taking it easy to begin with sounds like a good idea thanks, 25Km in there is a 10 km climb of ~160m, I worked out about 2% for the first 5 km and 1.6% km for the second half. Which although doest sound too steep, sounds like it might be a little draining (almost the length to and fro work but in 1 climb :sad:). The rest is all up and down, mostly 4K 1-2% ascents / decents.

Lol 62.18, looked at my route again, made a small course change to go round a couple of vallys instead of over down and up again, will work out to 104.30 kms apparently, so all is good :smile:

I'll see if I can get out this weekend for a test cycle, although its not looking good so far.

Lol forgot about wind, that would be a pain. I dont mind the rain, quite like cycling + mountain walking in it, feels a little more elemental / good after finishing if you see what I mean :biggrin:

Resisting the urge to by lycra.... but heard it might be more comfortable for longer cycles?.. might buy some but hide it under my cycling trousers :biggrin:

Thanks again,
Jon.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
A side comment from someone who did a 60 miler just before New Year. I actually got rather lonely! It took me four and a half hours and I had two long stops (tea & doughnut stop after 25 miles, proper hearty lunch after another 18). I was enjoying the cycling but by the end I found myself saying "hello sheep" or "hello horsie" if I passed anything in a field as I felt I had spent rather longer with myself than I needed.

If you manage to do it in company you'll go much faster, find it easier and will probably enjoy it more. Well, that's what I've found.

jimboalee

Hmmm...
Audax UK have 'Midland Mesh' and DIY permanent rides.
These can be ridden whenever, and ALONE.

I did three 15.5 hour 300 MidMesh rides last year - Alone.
I did half a dozen 200 rides. My pace is slower than most of the others, so I end up riding on my own.

I've never said "Hello horsie" or alike, but the game of "Spot the roadkill" is a firm favourite.

Top Bottom