Medlars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
They're nice baked whole, with a few spices..
Interesting texture.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Thank you, I'll give that a try. Been reading about "bletting" them. I've never heard that term before. They are currently still on the tree, but I can gather at any time.

Yes bletting (as you wil have read) is just letting them go slightly overripe and soft.

You get the same effect after a frost.

The fruits are actually quite moreish.

In that sort of yuck / yummy way you can find with ripe French cheese.

Anyhow I like them.

But as many on here will attest - I have strange opinions on many things..:blush:

The tree itself though is of handsome enough habit just to grow for itself 🌴

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Gather them now, put them in a net (as used for onions, citrus fruits etc. by supermarkets), and hang them (safely) outside for a few frosts. I lost most of my first crop to squirrels, which (who?) probably didn't know what to do with them, but didn't want me to have them. I saw where some were buried and retrieved them, to the accompaniment of some annoyed squirrel chattering noises. Medlar jelly is worth the effort to make, if you have enough fruit. My poor little tree is now fighting a probably losing battle against fireblight, has sprouted some strange leaves, almost certainly hawthorn, from the rootstock, and is unlikely to survive to produce another crop. Only two dog's arse fuits, one of which has already been sampled by the grey invaders. I give up.:sad:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Love the thought of the squirrels taking them home & then having no idea what to do with them. Just like when you buy random stuff in the supermarket & have to Google a recipe to use it.

I have a yearly battle with voles the same.

I cover the onion beds with netting to stop the jackdaws pulling the sets out.

But then have to replant lots where them pesky rodents have 'gathered' them into heaps..

They don't eat them, they just cant resist the urge to stockpile.. :rolleyes:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
They've probably a mountain of toilet roll stashed away too :laugh:

It is amazing what chewed up stuff you'll find in their nests :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Tail End Charlie

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Gather them now, put them in a net (as used for onions, citrus fruits etc. by supermarkets), and hang them (safely) outside for a few frosts. I lost most of my first crop to squirrels, which (who?) probably didn't know what to do with them, but didn't want me to have them. I saw where some were buried and retrieved them, to the accompaniment of some annoyed squirrel chattering noises. Medlar jelly is worth the effort to make, if you have enough fruit. My poor little tree is now fighting a probably losing battle against fireblight, has sprouted some strange leaves, almost certainly hawthorn, from the rootstock, and is unlikely to survive to produce another crop. Only two dog's arse fuits, one of which has already been sampled by the grey invaders. I give up.:sad:
Thank you, I'll do that and give the jelly a whirl. I've got more than two to pick, at least there were on Tuesday, hopefully the local squirrels haven't paid a visit since then.

I pick medlars from the community orchard - mum likes them, I'm very much in two minds. But the jelly is nice if you go 50-50 with bramley apple and add some ginger, star anise and cassia bark.

That's the second time in the space of a week that I've heard them referred to as dog butt hole fruit. :laugh:

They're actually a member of the rose family.

NeverFromConcentrate

Dog’s arse fruit. That’s what I call them too!!
Jelly, curd and cheese if you like fruit cheese. Blet them definitely. They were much valued by the Romans, who dedicated them to Saturn. Saturnalia is a Roman word for modern day Christmas, so it kind of indicates their season. You need a few hard frosts to blet them properly in my experience. Jelly is a nice accompaniment to venison too.

Top Bottom